New Shocks What Else?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Randomsoleil, Apr 7, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. Randomsoleil

Randomsoleil New Member

Ok so I asked a few weeks ago about new shocks and got some great advice. I went with the Monroe Reflex. I will be putting them on this comming weekend but i wanted to know as I am replacing the shock is there anything else i should look at to see if it needs to be replaced or worked on while im down there
  2. Silverado 2005 LS

Silverado 2005 LS New Member

Should just be the shock unless you find something that needs replacing.
  3. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

check the frame for rust and corrosion. place a good mineral based rust proofing on the rusted metal . especially the cross member
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Take a good look at all the rubber bushings and spacers. On a 99 they should be getting a little worn and weathered.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sway bar links Bushings and other bushings as said above..
  6. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 New Member 100 Posts

enkei nailed it...sway bar bushings and end links are cheap and easy to replace, and are probably getting pretty tired on a '99. I think you will like the Reflex, although a lot of times you can't really feel any diff until you have to make an emergency maneuver, after which you are glad you got new shocks.

I would check all the fluids closely. Brake fluid should be a bit tan, or light grayish-brown...dark is not good, and you can change it yourself. Tranny should be a nice reddish/pink...anything looking toward reddish/brown means it's time to change, as does any burnt smell. You proably know that oil should not be black, unless you have a diesel (if you don't know when the last oil change was, and it looks dirty, change it...$25 is good insurance, and you will be good to go for 5K miles). Check the fluid level of the rear end and transfer case.

Radiator should be a nice lime-green, or orange, depending on what is in there...in any even, it should have good color, not close to clear. I would also run a couple cans of chevron techron additive, or your other personal choice, through the fuel system just in case there is water, gunk, etc. Contrary to some beliefs, that does not constitute a "tune up in a can", but might prevent some problems, and it is cheap.

If any of these are wrong, someone will chime in, I am sure.
  7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member 100 Posts

good luck with the shocks. I had they and regretted them right away. Love my blisten heavy duty's