1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Shocks

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Southern Boy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

Hello everybody, I've joined this forum a while ago but recently I bought a burgundy 1997 K1500 Z71 Ext. Cab. The shocks are way overdue for some new ones, and I want to get Bilstein HD's to replace them. I would like to know if it extremely difficult to change them out yourself or is it really better to have a trusted mechanic do it for you? I would appreciate any help, thanks ya'll.
  2. sje0123

sje0123 New Member

If it's anything like my 2001 the hardest part looks to be breaking the old bolts loose. Looks like it's going to be 1 bolt up top and 1 bolt on the bottom front and rear. Swap them out and take it to an alignment shop to get it all squared up and you should be good to go.
  3. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

If you buy shocks from Sears, Les Schwab, or most place they will put them on for you.
  4. sje0123

sje0123 New Member

Well where is the fun in that?:rofl:
  5. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

Why would you have to get your truck aligned after changing shocks?
  6. sje0123

sje0123 New Member

Anytime you do suspension work you should get it realigned. You are loosening bolts and shifting everything around. It will throw your toe and camber off and will eat the tires up pretty quickly. It's always good insurance for the tires. If you go and get one done most big shops will redo it after that for free for up to a yr later.
  7. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

Bloody nuckles for one. Spray something on them a few days before, to help ya out. I need to do mine too,but im not gonna buy the high dollar ones. I always had luck with A/C Delco shocks
  8. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

I see what you mean and agree, thanks for the input.
  9. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

Some very good advice! I'm not quite able to buy the shocks yet, but it might be worth it to learn how to do it myself. And thanks for the tip for the alignment, I didn't really think about that.:glasses: