1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New silverado the bad and the ugly...

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by nickitp, Jan 20, 2009.

1. nickitp

nickitp New Member

I know there are problems with the 'rado so i figured it would be a good idea to place the issues that are being repaired. like for example mine has the knocking at startup which has to do with afm parts failing and its being fixed by gm.
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! You can use the thread in the Q&A section under repair manuals to have access to recalls and technical service bulletins.
  3. nickitp

nickitp New Member

ok thanks i went through there and found some useful stuff though i wonder what else could be missing because it has nothing concerning the lifter problem with these trucks.
  4. nickitp

nickitp New Member

ok so everyone just has the perfect defectless truck. i guess im one in a million.
  5. GaryL

GaryL New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

They have made Silverado's for years, so I'm not exactly sure which year you are talking about but assume 2009 since you said "new" (although that could mean "new to you":neutral:). Your first post implies that you are going to list problems that you are having, not what everyone else is having. Maybe word it a little clearer to let everyone know what you are looking for. My .02
  6. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts

Yeah man,. we need a little more info on your truck. I'm guessing that because you are hearing clatter at the start up you have an older truck. That happens, it goes away after the oil starts pumping through the heads.
  7. bubba33

bubba33 New Member

He is talking about AFM problems so that would mean its a newer truck. I have no idea of what else he is talking about.
  8. dlr328

dlr328 New Member

the only recall i have had with my truck is the heated windshield washer recall, other than that, it has been one week with my truck and I am enjoying every last minute with it. If you did buy a new truck, drive it!! it has the warranty on it, don't go into a truck anticipating all these problems, get into a truck because you like it, thats what I did...hope this helps.
  9. nickitp

nickitp New Member

Thanks alot for the responses there. i have an 08 5.3 crewcab so sorry about all the confusion. i know i had read somewhere about the lifter noise but i cant find it now. its a two wheel drive. i like the truck though wouldnt mind a maggie in there. and my family has been nothin but chevy for years.
  10. jtarms45

jtarms45 New Member

How long have you had it? Are you hearing lifters/valves/injectors? I know my '04 6.0 rattled for a while at start-up. Switched to synthetic oil (AMSOIL) lucky for me it wasn't mechanical. My '96 454 used to clatter too. I had the thing in a few times when it was new but was told the TSB said it was OK. I read the TSB myself, sure enough, the TSB said something about the noise being OK, it was caused from the sleeves, pistons, and rings not all being warmed up. Mr. Goodwrench told me to just turn up my sterio...