new speakers

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by reggiecab2000, Jun 16, 2012.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

hey guys,

quick little history:

ive had a set of boston acoustics RC620 component speakers in my doors since my big brother gave me the truck when i was 16... so im pretty sure he installed these somewhere around 2003.
    ever since ive had them they have always sounded nice except not a day in my life have i heard a single bit of satisfying midrange. whenever they play loud for about a minute its like the passenger side always cuts out, and now in the last few weeks i have noticed that some days the passenger side does not work at all, and as of a week ago i have not heard them work once. i have rebuilt every other audio aspect of my truck myself so i trust everything is in working order as i have checked all connections and the like. so i am thinking that since these speakers are at least 9 years old it might be a good idea to replace them anyway...

i have always been impressed with the alpine type-r speakers, and am definitely considering the
    alpine SPR-60C door speaker component set even though it runs about $200.00....
    my only concern is will these speakers play properly in my truck given an alpine MRP-F300 amplifier that puts out
    50WX4 RMS @ 4 ohms
    75WX4 RMS @ 2 ohms
    (given 14.4V)
    the speakers themselves are 110W RMS each...
    the last thing i want is to spend money on great speakers but have them not perform optimally due to incorrect power input.
    is this enough power or should i be looking at a different set of speakers or even..... a bigger amp (last resort)?
  2. Chad513

Chad513 New Member

no those speakers will work good with that amp. Alpine has good amps. It would be a perfect set up if you did that.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

That amp at 12.6 Volts will do about 40-60 Watts RMS... Thats it... The Type R's do sound good with about 75 watts RMS input. I would check out the JL Audio C5's or some Focal speakers... A cleaner Midrange and smooth tweeters..
  4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

well FYI i did figure out the problem with my passenger door speakers, just a loose rca in the head unit, but the audio cut out has happened for years ive never understood it...
    still though i am most likely going to new speakers and thanks chad for the input
    and actually enkeia it was those and the type R's i was comparing a few months back ill definitely go back and look at them and re run the specs between them, i just forgot about them...

oh and stupid question i know but, given the way technology has expanded today with components and coaxials, is there really much of a difference in them now? yes i know components have crossovers blah blah blah better sound, etc. , but just checking since ive been outta the loop a few months lol, just making sure components are still worth the money LOL
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Well Comp's you can aim and place the Tweeter at a better Spot for a better imageing and sound to your ears.. Coax some you can aim the tweeter a little but not much..
  6. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Comps also have a higher power handling... :). Normally at least lol. There are some rare exceptions. You should run kicker QS components....insane!
  7. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

yeah just making sure about the components lol
    and QS?! damn i aint got that kinda money lol
  8. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

They are spendy... :(. I'm rocking two sets of QS components just up front in my doors and kick panels for my SQC setup, believe it or not, I just smoked one pair, waiting on the replacement pair to arrive....any day now....