1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Site Rules New standards for signature images & text

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I've gotten some feedback from some members and other website owners and one thing that I heard constantly was that we must have some limitations on the size of signature images and the amount of characters in signature blocks.

On one page, i mapped out almost 35% of the total vertical space taken up by user signature blocks. That's a big design and layout problem, need to get that much lower.

First, I'm going to install some software so that only the first time a user posts in a thread (or on a page, not sure yet) his/her signature will be shown.

Second, we're going to kill the bb code for the tags for signatures, and only signature uploads will be allowed. I know there are some issues with this being sized properly, but we'll give enough time for it all to get worked out.

Finally, we're cutting back a ton of the bb code, killing links and more. Plus we need to get this stuff down to something like 300 characters for each signature for regular users. This isn't set it stone yet, but there have been users upwards of 2,000 characters and that's got to end very soon.

I'll update more later. We're making some simple changes now and will give more notice before we push the final changes through.
  2. AMac

AMac New Member 100 Posts

Makes sense, but can you also clean out some of the empty space between the last line of the post and where the signature begins. When you set the standard can you make the sig image a reasonable size so that we can still see what kind of truck/suv a person still has?

Thank you for all your efforts!
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Prior to the signature changes would it be possible to provide a section that other users see first (i.e. the first page shown) within our profiles ... where what's in our current signatures can be placed as we see fit? I am asking because the reason I provide as much information in my signature as I do ... is so that others who see something they like on my truck can obtain information about it without having to ask me.

I feel this is important because in the three months that I lurked here prior to joining, I combed through forums looking at people's trucks and their mod lists in their sigs to help me determine mods that I, myself, might want to do. This was so useful to me that I pay it forward and make sure I provide the same utility to others.

If the sigs in posts is an issue, I understand -- but having a place others can INTUITIVELY and EASILY check for information we supply (with one or two clicks ... perhaps even in a link we can put in our 300 character or less signature) would serve the same utility ... allowing people to check mod lists, get model numbers, etc on their own without having to send PM's or wait for replies...

Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  4. ChevyFan

Maybe we should look into one of the "garage" plugins that are on the market for this forum software? Then everyone could have a place to showcase his/her vehicles, projects, modifications, etc.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't know what solution is best, but it'd be nice to have the solution in place before the existing signature functionality is broken/removed. Pulling that functionality while chat is gone, collapsable layouts are missing, etc. sort of feels (to me, at least) like we're going backward in time and getting ever-more basic.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree with [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] I was really confused when my other two sig images just vanished just as I had gotten used to the look and really liked it. :frown:
    [MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION] I like the idea of a "garage" to show off mods and work done.
  7. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2. It does seem like we are going backward. I don't know anything about website hosting but it seems the emphasis has switched to advertising rather than member content.
  8. ChevyFan

I didn't mean to remove user images today, so sorry! itsa user permission issue and until i get back on a computer, tomorrow morning, i can't change it back. Again, sorry.

There are actualy the same amount of ads on the site, and we removed all "in post" ads for members actually.

... oh, and one of my friends just gave me the code to reduce the space between the end of the forum content and the beginning of the signature.

... also, there are a few that have asked about chat coming back, but the stats showed that almost no one used it. We can try it again in some format, maybe a chat box or we can try live threads that update like Facebook without having to hit refresh.
  9. ChevyFan

Hard to say going backwards, traffic is at an all-time high. I'm on the site more than i have been in 6+ months and have put a lot of time into building systems that will get us back to having quality truck and SUV content while having a good time to boot.
  10. ChevyFan

I was able to log into the back ebbs with my mobile device so i turned user image tags back on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.