Site Rules New standards for signature images & text

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have been on here allot more lately, and quite frankly I miss the chat and that would be a deciding factor in purchasing a membership (I have been thinking about it allot lately). I guess that certain users would use it more than others and at certain times of the day.

Other than this forum, I really haven't visited many "forum" sites and if this style of website is what a "modern" forum is like, then a facebook style "news feed" system is 100 year more advanced than the typical forum site.

I do agree that there are some sig pics that are huge. I have "shrunk" mine a few times and then used tables to be able to format the signature to fit tighter spaces.

I think that there are a few other things to consider though. What type of displays are people using when they visit this site. At home I am running 3 x 24 inch LCD's (1900 x 1280 each, total screen screen size is 5700 x 1280.

When I am mobile, I am looking at this site on an Ipad 3..... 2560 x 1600 ( approx ) and if I am on my android phone, I am viewing at 1280x800.

If someone is viewing this website on a flip phone, then a 5 pixel sig pic will take half the screen. It is really easy to figure out how people are viewing the site with google analytics.

I do this with the websites I own. Unfortunatly the site has to cater to the majority of the users and for some reason, I don't think most of the users are surfing the web at 1024x768 any more. If they are then they can get a second hand 17, 20 or 22 inch LCD for less than $100 used.

2. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I concur with the thoughts being expressed here. I know some of the sig images can take up a lot of space and I'm one of the offenders. That being said, it fit the requirements for max sig pic size. I think a lot of the space issue would be addressed with reducing the white space between content and the beginning of the sig and the solution you mentioned of posting a sig once per thread.

As far as chat, it's unfortunate more people don't use it. I can only speak for myself and I use it quite a bit to communicate on here without having to try to do so in a thread that is really a conversation among two or a few people. That being said, I have no idea how much complexity or overhead it adds to administration of the site so I understand there's a cost/benefit analysis that needs to be done.

I can also understand the need to limit text in sigs, though I also love sigs like Surrreal's as I've referenced it multiple times. I don't have to through thousands of posts if I know it's something referenced in his sig. That could also be achieved in a garage function or something too.

I also agree with Amac. If we reduce the size of sig images, I'd just want to make sure we could still get good images of people's trucks. It doesn't have to take half the screen, I agree. I just want to be able to see it.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree 100% with this sentiment. If screen real-estate is a substantive enough issue/concern to warrant a layout change and some new rules -- so that we have improved usability -- ad sizes and quantities seem like a good place to do so, as well -- again to ensure maximum usability.

I count at least 3 ads on every page I am viewing. Combine them on a single page and they are about as big as the largest signatures we tend to see on the site (factoring in both images and text) -- making for usability issues on 7" and 10" tablets as well as those running 800x600 screens.

If we're restricting sigs to one per page and also limiting them to specific sizes based on usability needs ... then it may also make sense to limit ads on the same basis -- one per page and size-limited.

Thanks for pointing that out, Alox. Had you not, I'd not have turned off my ad filter to get a feel for how much space the ads were consuming. Some time when I have a little more time I'll scope out the ad image sizes to see what their impact is on page load speed, as well -- especially the animated ones, which tend to be larger than static ones.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The requirements for the max sig image size are 500x100. 500px wide by 100px tall. That was supposed to be the max width a few years ago be we can't enforce that with the img tag.

For some reason in the past we allowed for the img tag to be used, that's what's going to be done away with according to the plan.

5. ChevyFan

We're also dealing with duplicate content as well, having the same exact 400 word block of text appear over and over alters the meaning of the post for the search engines.

6. ChevyFan

Also, in the future all contests will have components that are added to the "ad areas" as we'll use these for news & information too.

7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

So now we can't have more than one pic awwww :frown:. gonna have to make a pic that has my three pics in it.

8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

I guess this sort of stuff comes full cycle. If I plan on being a "paid member" annually. I expect there to be no adds at all (for paid members). I don't visit forums to look at commercials all day. When cable tv started, people "paid" not to see the ads. That has really changed over the years.

There has to be a balance. If I go to site, and I am bombarded with ads, it is my choice not to use that site anymore. And I am sure your tracking software will prove that. Look at what bad decisions like that did to Netflix....... their company still has not recovered from that mess.

Look at apple..... Lets sue Samsung for patent infringments..... well over night their stock dropped 25%..... then the saving grace...... Iphone5.... Well Q3 will have a fat check..... Q4........ oh, they sued samssung for 1 billion in damages..... ( the Iphone 5 hype is over, and apples stock dumps again....).

Honestly, if it is that expensive to run the site, offer 3 levels of memberships instead of 2 and raise the rate on the high level memberships a little, but at that high level membership, NO ads at all.

Worst case senario is individuals install firewalls that strip the ads from the site when they visit it. (if I don't want to see add's everywhere, I will not, no matter what).

9. ChevyFan

We are getting off topic, there are a lot of reasons that signature images (and their text) have to be controlled, rest assured we will find the right balance and will post them before we make any moves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.