1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Suburban Owner

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by nottmbantam, Jun 1, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. nottmbantam

nottmbantam New Member

Been on the hunt for a while and finally managed to find one that was reasonable.

Piccies :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a 2500, 4x4 with the 7.4L Engine. Just filled it up on the way home, with 91 RON fuel, cost me 68 SR ( Saudi Riyals), for 128 litres. ( £12 / $18 ) There is bits of work to do on it, but the main bits seems to be in good order: Engine, transmission; gearbox and four wheel drive.

It does make quite a loud whine when driven, which is a shame, as it hides the growl of of the V8. From asking previous questions on here, the whine is likely to be Alternator related or belt related?

Anyway, will be back asking more questions in the near future.
  2. blackburb

blackburb New Member 100 Posts

Looks nice! I hope the a/c is one of the things that's working good...:great:
  3. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

good find. nice ride
  4. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member 100 Posts

Nice looking. Whine could be from transmission but alternator or pulley also.
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Congrats on your new ride!!! Very nice!
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Congrats
    Must say- if I wasn't a cheapskate I would be tempted by a 7.4 454!!

Do you have good mechanics in SA??
    I'm guessing yes-since in 3rd world countries(but SA is kinda 1st and 3rd world) they usually repair things rather than tossing them.
    SA is very rich-so I'm guessing the affluent want good mechanics to fix their toys,.
    Besides it must be a BIG DEAL if you break down in the middle of nowhere Saudi Arabia
    so they probably insist on good maintenance and repairs!

Lucky you
    Charlie
    PS I see Syria Iraq etc are getting into the Sunni vs Shia thing in a big way?? SA is all Sunni-so no risk of that there-right?? Guessing actual Saudi citizens must be pretty happy with things?? all that oil money spread over what-not even 1 million citizens?? No idea how many Saudi citizens there are-but not a lot is my guess??
  7. nottmbantam

nottmbantam New Member

Right, had some of the guys look at it at work today, they are far more technically aware than me. After around five mins with the bonnet / hood up, we identifed it was the Power Steering fluid, which was almost empty. Had some available, filled up and the noise disappeared. I took it for a drive, and then later noticed a leak under the engine, so realised that the power steering fluid was leaking and needed sooner, rather than later, attention.

Took it to a local workshop and as soon as I lifted the bonnet, the mechanic said I needed a new Hydraulic Vacuum Pump. It was that which was leaking, and as a result was draining the power steering fluid. Need to go out and buy the part, and then take it back for a repair. Anyone any idea how much they are - is it an expensive item?

Saudi's are quite a large population Charlie in terms of numbers, maybe around 18million. Far more than the other smaller neighbouring countries. THe wealth is not spread / shared out, so the elite few really do enjoy the decadent riches and wealth. THe majority live quite and average lifestyle. THe Saudi's are fiercely loyal though, they love their King Abdullah, so would not expect them to rise up against the state or the King. Besides, the army is very strong here and quite powerful, any protests are always quickly crushed.

There is a small Shia population, mainly in the East, and mainly the ones who have cause to complain, but as they are the minor it, they will never really make any in roads.

SA is largely a 3rd world country, despite its huge wealth, so there is tendency to fix and repair. Most of the the mechanics are Filipino / Pakistani who can fix anything you throw at them. And for a pretty reasonable fee, labour cost will be around $10 per hour. THe hard part is finding someone who can communicate with !
  8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ignore all far below stuff on part-the part is DIRT CHEAP $34.24 FOR THE 7.4 at
    www.partsgeek.com search power steering vacuum pump or some such for K2500
    Yes-you lucked out-really cheap!!
    Yeah-LOVE GMs-parts are soooo cheap-This is not ACDELCO- but probably works OK
    OEM part might be 3X-check on forum to see if this is the sort of part it is OK to go aftermarket on-some parts best to stick with OEM
    Guessing your mechanic will charge maybe $100 for the part there-or $200 if it is a genuine GM maybe??
    All in all-you lucked out!!

Wow-18,000,000-I never would have guessed that high.
    Area wise it is a very big country-looks about 1000 miles by 600 miles~500,000 sq miles-3-4x Texas
    Got out my globe-had no idea it was sooo big.
    18,000,000 -How in the world did that many people eat pre oil money ??
    It is a big darned desert-some seacoast-but not a rainy sea coast like you Brits or our East coast-
    Yeah how did they feed that many people before the oil money??Little bit of fishing-??
    Maybe the population was much much lower before their oil boom??
    18,000,000-wow-in a freakin desert???

3rd worlders pretty good at fixing things-

Check Ebay for that pump-
    parts for GM trucks-are very readily available here-generally pretty cheap.
    Can you order from USA??
    Do the Saudis have any chicken "feed" duties on imports??
    Checked my Hayne repair manual 1988-1998 all models
    I can't figure out what a Hydraulic Vacuum Pump is??
    The power steering pump is sitting-easy access-on my 2wd 1998 1/2 ton-
    but it is driven by the accessory belt(fan belt) with a pulley?
    I don't see any vacuum lines having anything to do with it.

Yeah- older GM trucks have GREAT parts availability-older meaning 1988-2000-cheap and available anywhere.

My HAYNES indicates-2wd- it -power steering pump-is relatively easy replacement-need a puller installer for the pulley-but that is it(ignore this-since you aren't replacing the pump)

I wonder what the vacuum aspect is?? Not sure since my 1/2 ton 2wd doesn't have any vacuum lines having anything to do with the power steering??
    (lOOKED IT UP-the 2500 have different setup-vacuum booster etc)

Charlie

- - - Updated - - -

The vacuum power steering pump
    DIRT CHEAP $34.25 AT PARTSGEEK
    www.partsgeek.com search K2500 power steering pump

Really really cheap-it is the vacuum booster part
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If it is the hydro booster then it is not all that cheap. For my 2005 1500 it was around $230 USD. It took about 2 hours for them to change it out
  10. nottmbantam

nottmbantam New Member

I'll take a pic and post it up. Mechanic showed me exactly where it was in the engine bay, maybe you guys can do a visual ID. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Going on what the mechanic said, I think its what Pikey is suggesting, cost around 250USD.