1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New taillights and LED light bar, what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by AnimalYates, Feb 1, 2012.

1. AnimalYates

AnimalYates New Member

So one day I was looking at my truck and I decided I had enough of my old tail lights, which were just OEM's with a chrome V-tech bowtie cover over them. (For the record, the previous owner had put them on, not me!) I finally pulled the trigger and ordered new taillights off E-bay. And a few weeks back I put a 60" LED tailgate light strip on there too. It has a reverse feature but I don't know how to wire it into my reverse light inside the taillight.

Anyway, tell me what you guys think! Any and all opinions. I feel that it helps take some of the flashiness away from my truck and is complimented by the tailgate cap and the tinted windows.

2012-02-01 17.54.41.jpg 2012-02-01 17.54.57.jpg 2012-02-01 17.55.16.jpg
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

Those lights look pretty good. Your truck reminds me of my old truck. I think some nice 20" wheels would look good on there too.....
  3. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member 1000 Posts

tail lights look good man now all you need to do is get headlights and third brake light and will look even better good job bro.
  4. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts

That looks really nice. It's amazing what the little things can do for the overall look of the truck. It's definitely distinct. If you play around with it and figure out how to get it wired into the reverse, make a post about it.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

1. Drop the tailgate.
    2. Remove one of the tail lights; either is fine just pick one.
    3. Remove the wiring to the reverse bulb.
    4. Notice there are two wires connected to the bulb socket -- one is black and one is coloured.
    5. The black wire should be your common ground (-) wire while the coloured wire should be your positive (+) wire.
    6. Remove the bulb.

To confirm the coloured wire is your positive (+) wire:

1. Set the parking brake.
    2. Put the key in the ignition.
    3. Turn on your vehicle but DO NOT START IT.
    4. Press the brake pedal and put the vehicle into reverse.
    5. Return to the removed tail light and use a test light/device to probe the coloured wire's lead within the empty bulb socket. Make ABSOLUTELY sure you have a good ground point; if you probe the lead and you don't get a light/tone then try moving your device/light's ground before assuming it's not a positive lead. The goal is to get a tone or light from the test light/device when probing the lead ... while the vehicle is in reverse.
    6. Return to the cab, press the brake pedal, and put the vehicle back into park.
    7. Remove the key from the ignition.
    8. Repeat step 5 and this time expect a result where the test light/device does NOT provide a tone or light when probing the same lead as before ... since the vehicle is not in reverse.

Assuming you confirmed the wire was hot when the vehicle was in reverse and it was not hot when the vehicle was in park ... you now know which wire is the positive wire to the reverse light in one tail light. Tap the identified tail light wire and make a solid connection from it to the appropriate wire from the light bar. Wiring to the tail light should be encapsulated within some wiring loom; if so I recommend routing the light bar's wire within the same wire loom to the tail light you're working with ... so that it's protected.

Assuming the tail light bar has only one ground wire (which you've already connected in order to get the brake lights working with it), you should now be able to test, again, to confirm that your light bar functions properly when in reverse. :)