1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new taillights on an older chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by adam.hafner, Dec 25, 2009.

1. adam.hafner

adam.hafner New Member

I am a new member and this is my first post. I have an 01 Chevy Silverado 1500, but I like the molded look of the 05 Chevy Silverado taillight lenses. Does anyone know if the 05 lenses fit on the 01 or if there is someone that makes lenses that look like the 05 but are made for the 01?

Thanks in advance!

Adam
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

The two styles are directly interchangeable in terms of fitment. For the newer ones, though, chevy added a small marker light at the bottom that came on with the parking lights and flashed with the turn signals. You can either cover this hole over, or wire a bulb in there to make it work. All the other lights just have switched over, as the holes for them are the same. To wire in the marker on the bottom, you can buy harnesses, wire them the same as factory yourself (by connecting to the correct power and ground, not sure which ones though - i believe this way is possible), or you can just wire it to come on with the running lights or signal lights individually. Most auto parts stores should sell you a socket with harness for the marker (type 194 wedge bulb) and you just have to connect it. hope this helps.
  3. Stealth

Stealth New Member 1000 Posts

if you do this mod, make a how-to post on it, that would be awesome
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  5. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 New Member

Yep just add the new lenses and the extra bulb. Do it!
  6. Stealth

Stealth New Member 1000 Posts

but not without pics, por favor