Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New tire Time and

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Chevyguy69, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

I have to take the stock Ameritrack off at just 28k!! It came with 245/70/17 and I'd like to go up to 265/70/17 to have just a little more meat on the road. I have an LS crew and I think the LT and up come factory with them. My question is how much it would throw the speedo off? Also the places I've shopped said they could only put on the same size as OEM which I think is a joke b/c it's not like I'm putting monster tires on it! Lol. I did ask if it would void the tire warranty if I had them put on else where and they said no. So if it did throw the speedo off- how much?

Thanks in advance

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TH][/TH]
    [TH][/TH]
    [TH][/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH][/TH]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH][/TH]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH][/TH]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH][/TH]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Guardrail

Guardrail Member

Go with a 265/65R17 and you would be pretty close. That size would only be 3/4 of a millimeter taller than OEM.

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

The tire dealer will not replace tires that are not OEM sized because of LIABILITY. If the tire is not the proper size and you have an accident, especially where some is hurt or killed, someone will note the tires and they look to suit everyone involved with those tires because you could not control the vehicle.

Go to http://www.discounttiredirect.com and they have a size up chart.

5. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

Thanks y'all for the help. I think I'll go with the 265/65/17, it's about as close as I can get without throwing the speedo off and just a bit wider.

6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

my 2000 silverado I ordered from factory had the 245/75/r16 firestone . got 92,000miles with 1/3 tread left. I purchased another set same tires have 50,000miles on them now 50% tread left.

they stopped making these about 6 years ago...

7. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

Wow, unbelievable mileage and just my luck those are discontinued! I've been looking at Michelins LX but they are high! Now I'm looking at Nexen b/c they have some great reviews and a great price too.:)

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I payed 112 USD /tire ...now I will have to pay 175 USD to get new tires next time. since I have the 1500 4X4 I would like load C tires as OEM built but not available..must get the load E which is a harder ride...truck rides good with the C tires.

9. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

little diff between those two sizes (actually, 1" in diameter, 3/4" in real use). speedo will be off by 3%, max. Hard to believe any tire shop told you that because they make most of their money changing out sizes. Don't shop wally or pep boys, go to big O, 4day, some of those stores. Check out Firestone Destination LE2....great tire, one of the highest customer ratings on several sites.

10. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

Yeah it was wallyworld that told me that couldn't change to a tire different than factory

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it was wally and against their policy