1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Tires...Old Spare

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by AzDragonLord, Jan 26, 2011.

1. AzDragonLord

AzDragonLord Rockstar

I expect my factory P245/70R-17 tires to need replacing within the next year, and I'm entertaining the idea of getting a slightly larger tire (the Hankooks here). Would I be able to keep and use the original spare even though it's slightly smaller? I know I shouldnt' mix tire sizes, but if it's for "limited use only", I could save some serious $$ by not buying a 5th tire.
  2. AzDragonLord

AzDragonLord Rockstar

Nobody knows if that small difference in tire size will be an issue?
  3. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I can't see why it would be a problem,you see cars with those donut spares on all the time.As long as you fix your tire quick ,i'm sure it's not going to do any damage to your truck.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If your truck has a rear locker than you can't mix the rear tires as they would be rotating at differant speeds. My '05 has a locker and when I got a flat tire I moved the right front to the rear and put the spare on the front (pain in the ass).
  5. AzDragonLord

AzDragonLord Rockstar

I don't know if I do or not. What would happen if I did?
  6. silveradotrailblazer

You could tear up the rear end because the rear is locked and the smaller tire is wanting to turn faster than the taller tire.
  7. o3gerber

o3gerber Rockstar 100 Posts

as long as you run the spare on the front and dont put it into 4 wheel drive you will be fine. if you have a locker in the rear and run two different size tires you could brake a axel
  8. AzDragonLord

AzDragonLord Rockstar

Well I don't want to break anything! I'll keep them all the same when the time comes.

Thank you all. :)
  9. silveradotrailblazer

When you buy your new tires buy a CHEAP tire for the spare, the same size as the others.
  10. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

GREAT idea! I have the same concern. My spare has never hit the ground, wonder if they would swap for a good used one of the new size for the spare.