1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New to Diesel Motors...Looking for tips and advice

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by asgmf12, Jul 21, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. asgmf12

asgmf12 New Member

Just bought a 2008 Chevy 2500 6.6L Duramax. I don't know much about diesel motors. A few of the guys I work with have made a few recommendations on improvements. Looking for more opinions.

Should I...
    - Install additional gauges(i.e. pyro, boost, engine oil temp, ect...) suggested to spot engine trouble earlier.

- DPF Delete to improve fuel economy... I'm worried about passing emissions and if its even worth it, or just install all new larger exhaust system?

- Bully Dog tuner... not looking to produce huge black plumes of money out the tail pipe, but just improve performance while towing/hauling and everyday driving, will this do the trick.

- K & N cold air intake... I had major improvements in my 5.3L Vortec, will I see the same with a diesel?

On another level, the truck came with oversized tires, 285/70R17, will this help or hurt fuel economy and performance?
  2. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Gauges are only necessary if you are going to be driving the truck hard.

DPF will give great benifits, but if you have any emmisions they will be sticky on it.

Tuners, get a custom tune from someone that can do EFI Live, by far better then anything else. DSP5 switches, read about those.

K&N isn't a good brand for diesels, they let in too much dirt. Try AFE i have one personally and i prefer them.

It will effect economy a little bit but the truck has enough torque it would barely be noticable.