1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New to forum and mechanics

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by chrissytaz, May 12, 2012.

1. chrissytaz

chrissytaz New Member

Hi! As the title suggests I'm new to this forum and I will be looking for all sorts of help. :)

I currently own a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado. I love my truck! I have had many "friends" do various work on it over the past few years and now I would like to start learning how to do things on my own.

Today I pulled out the EGR valve to clean it because the truck has been having some "stuttering" problems over the past month. I replaced the plugs and wires and that didn't fix the problem, so someone suggested cleaning the EGR valve as my next step.

My first question to this forum is, how do I determine whether I have a 4.8L or a 5.3L engine? I know it is an 8 cylinder, but everytime I go to buy or price parts they always ask me whether it is 4.8 or 5.3. How much of a difference is there? And will this difference effect the parts that I buy?

I look forward to your help and I can't wait to put some more hours in under the hood.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The 5.3L will have an eighth digit of B,T, or Z. I think the 4.8 had a V, or a C for the 8th digit.
  3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

if you have the factory air intake, it will be printed there. i think anyways, i know its labled on the newer ones.

Alex
  4. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you with us. :glasses:
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome! :great:
  6. AutoAnything

AutoAnything New Member

Welcome aboard!
  7. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

Locate the "Catalyst" sticker on or near the fan shroud/radiator support. It is a rectangular sticker that is about 3"x4". In the corner of the sticker it will tell which engine you have. Welcome to the group.
  8. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Are you getting a service engine light? If so take by auto parts for free scan for codes.
    Could try cleaning the maf sensor if dirty will cause hesitations/stutters.
    Get maf cleaner at auto parts . Maf located after filter before throttle body.
    Take battery connection loose ..take maf loose spray good ..let dry good.
    Put back . Do not touch the filaments on maf will damage easy.
    If that does not fix . Will try something else.
  9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club!!
  10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!