1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new to GMC can anyone help?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by k_lakey, Mar 11, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. k_lakey

k_lakey New Member

i just got a 1990 gmc stepside 4x4 with a 5.7 a 4' lift and 33's on it and when i drive it feels realy slugish... its got a magnaflow cat back... take off is really slow.. can anyone help?
  2. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the site.

Do you know what gears you have in it? It sounds like you may not have enough gearing for the size tires you are running.

You might also check the timing, if it is off it could cause sluggishness.
  3. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would agree about the timing, 33's are not significantly over sized so IMO they are less of a factor here. Still if the gearing has been changed from stock before then they become more of an issue.
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site. You didn't mention, but considering the age of the truck you might want to check out the catalitic converters. They can cause a lot of issues when they go bad. Just a thought.
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Make sure to have it scanned for codes. There may be a code stored in memory that can point to the power loss.
  6. k_lakey

k_lakey New Member

i dont know what gears are in it... i think stock
  7. k_lakey

k_lakey New Member

and the catalitic converters looks new
  8. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

An easy way to check the cat is by temperature. I picked up a cheap laser thermometer at Harbor Freight when I thought mine was going out.
  9. k_lakey

k_lakey New Member

how would i do this?
  10. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Easiest way is to take it to Autozone. They will scan it for you for free.