Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New to Me 86 Suburban 6.2 Diesel Engine options

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by BustedKnuckles, Jul 15, 2013.

1. BustedKnuckles

BustedKnuckles New Member

So I have recently acquired a new to me 1986 K20 6.2 diesel. The previous owner pulled the heads and discovered they were cracked. It sat up for a couple years and now I'm looking to get it road worthy. The caveat is that I need to get it on the road ASAP. I'm thinking about finding a similar era suburban or truck with a running motor and stabbing in, so it will be road worthy quickly. I can (and will) do mods later, but for now I need a happy household where all the vehicles run. So my question is this: What incidentals should I go ahead and prep for the swap? Fuel/air filter, maybe glow plugs? I'm thinking total fluid change, and probably drain the tank and start with all fresh fuel. And go ahead and change out all fluids; antifreeze/power steering/ tranny/etc. Are there some other items that I should consider while I've got the motor out that may save me some grief later?
    Thanks in advance.