1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new to me chevy truck

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by whatelseisleft, Nov 27, 2012.

1. whatelseisleft

whatelseisleft New Member

Hey guys I just bought a 88 chevy cheyenne, long bed ext cab with 5.7. She hesitates off idle but once I get moving she is fine. So I just had a fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator replaced, she sat for 2 yrs prior to me buying her. So any ideas on what is causing the hesitation?
  2. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Did you replace the plugs and wires? Also IIRC the PCV on those older engines were user replaceable.
  3. whatelseisleft

the mechanic who replaced the pump and reg pulled the plugs and inspected them and the wires, I was told they were good to go... Where else could I look?
  4. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

It's easy to do a visual inspection on spark plugs, but if the wires are original, replace them.
  5. dobey

dobey Member

Did you replace the fuel filter and clean out the injector(s) as well? Anywhere that old gas could have sat in the system over time could result in it gumming up and at least partially blocking delivery.

Any funny smells coming out of the exhaust? Damaged (or mice nesting inside) exhaust, could result in hesitations as well.
  6. whatelseisleft

plug wires were replaced about 10k before it was parked... exhaust does smell kinda funny to me but I don't think there is a nest of any sort in there... the exhaust smells kinda rich to me... the exhaust does not appear to be damaged at all...

the fuel filter was not replaced nor were the injectors cleaned, I plan to changed the filter this week... recommendations on cleaning the injectors?
  7. dobey

dobey Member

Inside of the cat could be corroded, or you could be burning (or sending through the cat) some bad gas that was left in the truck. Was the tank flushed and cleaned when you replaced the fuel pump?

As for cleaning the injectors, http://www.fd3s.net/injector_cleaning.html might provide you with some helpful information. A good mechanic shop or dealer service should be able to clean them properly for you, if you can't do it yourself or don't trust yourself to do it.
  8. The Heater

The Heater Member

Remove all the fuel from the fuel tank and check it for water. If it sat, you have water in there guaranteed. Even if it does not sit you have water in there, even if it didn't use fuel with ethanol in it. Don't try to make this too complicated.