1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New (to me) Rims and Tires.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Sierraowner5.3, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

For a paltry $400 dollars, I went and got 4 almost new (>2000 miles, little rubber bits are still on the sidewall even) Goodyear Wrangler AT/S with rims off of a 2007 GMC sierra. future cost savings? around $700. tirerack had em for $232, plus shipping, anyplace local was $250, plus mount and balance, these are mounted and balanced already.

one is low on air, figure a trip to the auto craft shop on post to double check balance and inflation, and they will be readily usable.

the tires on my truck arnt bald in any sense, but they are getting down there, so i figured spend some money now, and be set for later on down the road.

question becomes, the rims are somewhat chewed up, so do I try to buff/polish? The thought I had was to sand em and rattle can em black? figure a sanding with a 200 grit, then another with a 400/500, then a few coats of matte black, then a coat of clear would look nice, just not sure how they would look on my truck.

if anyone wanted to photoshop it and post em be my guest, as im rubbish with photo shop.

anywho, thought id share my good fortune.

Alex
  2. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Nice job their young man
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Maybe try to sand them and have them painted an accent color for your truck.
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Love those deals.
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Nice catch. Just the tires alone make it worth it. No too handy with photoshop but I'm positive someone here is.
  6. Sierraowner5.3

my thoughts exactly. figured the ties were well worth it, rims are a bonus.

i think the new rims are lighter as well, may compare em, could help with mileage.

ALex
  7. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Nice steal on the tire/rim combo!

This is by no means professional but you should get an idea I hope.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Sierraowner5.3

just a update, i dropped the tires off at the shop, they are gonna check em in the morning. Had a thought on the rims, might black them out, except for the center part of each spoke, I think that would look kinda cool.

gonna play with the idea for a bit, see what I think.

Alex
  9. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Good call on leaving some contrast in the rim. After looking at that pic, I don't think it would look to good all black with all black tires.

Nice job on the photoshop Cheez!
  10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

That contrast would look SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!