1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New to site with two bi-fuel CNG GM vehicles

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Highmarker, May 16, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Highmarker

Highmarker New Member

Nice site.

I have two Chevy vehicles that are bi-fuel. They run on compressed natural gas (CNG) and gasoline. Both are factory installed conversions - 2003 Chevy Cavalier and 2003 C2500HD Silverado. I will be searching around for some questions that I have. If I can't find the answers already posted, then I will definitely ask.

Thanks for the site.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club.
  3. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome from Myrtle Beach, SC
  4. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome aboard. Let's see some pics.
  5. Crispyt

Crispyt New Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the club! I don't know much about CNG engines but I have seen and done light work on some. Take some pics and check out some groups or start one while your there. You could make your own for CNG vehicles or join some groups. Hope you enjoy your time here!

-Tom K.
  6. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome aboard!
  7. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

How is your mileage?!
  8. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 New Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the site from So California
  9. Highmarker

Highmarker New Member

There are two ways to answer that question:

1. Miles per gallon - First of all, CNG is a gas not a liquid so the term gallon does not really have any meaning. The correct term is Gasoline Gallon Equivalent, or GGE, see link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GGE
    CNG's optimum compression ratio is about 15:1, much higher than gasoline. Since my vehicles are bi-fuel they are tuned to run on the compression ratio of gasoline (8:1 or 9:1). I therefore have a slight reduction in power and torque when on CNG. The mileage is about the same at highway speeds, but in stop and go traffic and city traffic my mileage is less. Here are my estimates on mileage:

Cavalier - Gasoline: 80% highway and 20% city - 30 MPG
    CNG: 80% highway and 20% city - 28 - 29 MPGGE
    Silverado - Gasoline: 50% highway and 50% city - 14 MPG
    CNG: 50% highway and 50% city - 12 MPGGE

2. Cost per mile - This is dependent on the price of gasoline versus the price of CNG. Gasoline prices changes almost everday and depending on how the CEO of OPEC feels it goes up or down. CNG is much different. It is an American fuel and, at least in Utah, takes an act of the Public Service Committee to change the price. Right now gasoline is at $3.67/gal and CNG at $1.27/gal. So, lets take my Cavalier at 30 MPG and 28.5 MPGGE for example. On gasoline it costs me $0.12 per mile. On CNG it costs me $0.04 per mile. That is a savings of $0.08 per mile. So while on CNG, my gasoline equivalent mileage is ~87 MPG.
  10. sgtsjj

sgtsjj New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!!!