1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New to the game.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by EBK142, Jan 18, 2009.

1. EBK142

EBK142 New Member

heres my situation. A lady i know is selling a 95 silverado z71. $500. blown head gasket. mint body shape. 124k. grey interior white exterior. its a nice all around truck. my question is, how hard/ how much money is this job gonna cost me to have the truck good to go. also is it worth it? let me know.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

lots of variables. What's the body style? Regular cab, extended cab, long bed, short bed? What was the maintence record of it, how many owners, etc. You know that only the head gasket is faulty, other issues, at 125k there can be a lot wrong.

Also, do you know how to fix it yourself, or were you going to have it done? You can call a local garage to see what they will quote you for the job, that's the high figure.

When you're done, you probably have a decent truck that if you take care of and plan to put some money in it will treat you right. If it were a 4x4 Z71 it's got a longer vehicle life and it may fetch $3500-4000 in "fair" condition around here.
  3. EBK142

EBK142 New Member

Sorry my fault for not listing the specifics. extended cab, short bed. i was TOLD that only the headgasket is blown, it was driven by a female who does not know very much about vehicles so im assuming that the coolant and engine oil mixed and therefore has/will be blowing the engine. i have a mechanic who does all of my work at a very cheap rate, im just wondering how much the engine itself would be to get a new/used one. or would it just be better off to part it out.
  4. EBK142

EBK142 New Member

and i believe it is 4x4
  5. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It sounds to me as if the truck itself is worth fixing up. I'd visit a local salvage yard and see what they have for lower mile engines if they have any. If it were me I'd grab the ol' phone book and make 2 or 3 phone calls to see what kind of price quotes I'd get in the area.

If you have the cash...I say get it fixed/replaced. Price-wise...I dunno.. from $1000 - $3000? Depending on where you go/what you get? Just a guess on my part, I'm sure others will have better words of advice.

Good luck!
  6. EBK142

EBK142 New Member

another question i have... i also drive a 95 accord, and i know if i blow that engine there are a few different year engines i can use. like i can use a 94. is there any other engine i can use or do i need a 95?
  7. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The long block (If the L05 350) was used from 1987-1996.
  9. EBK142

EBK142 New Member

alright this is what ive been told. correct me if im wrong, im pretty new to this whole chevy thing. Its a 95 silverado z71 1500 small block. 4x4. 305.350? im not sure. i should have the rest of the info by tonight. what year or what specific engine(s) would work on this truck.
  10. werty

werty New Member 100 Posts

FOR 500 BILLS I MIGHT COME DOWN TO MASS AND PICKIT UP FOR YOU
    I GOT A DONON 350 WITH TRANNY READY TO GO!!!:lol: