1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New to Trucks, What to do? 98 Chevy 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by coltonblaze, Apr 2, 2013.

1. coltonblaze

coltonblaze New Member

Hey guys! I just got my first truck, a 98 Chevy 1500 Ext Cab! I just joined the site so im still trying to figure everything out, lol.

But anyways, i got the truck, a new paint job, and $1,000 with the truck. I was wondering what mods you guys would suggest adding to the truck with that money. I am just using the truck to drive to school and back, to take fishing, and hit then mud every now and then!

So, any suggestions on what to add?

note: the truck has
    -3" body lift
    -35" Trail Grapplers
    -Dual flowmaster exhaust
    -Cold air intake
    -Gear 20" Rims
    -New paint job
    -110,000 miles

Once agin, i'm new to the site (and trucks for that matter) so sorry if this is all irrelevant. Thanks guys!
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to GMTC! If it were me I would use The $1000 for some preventative maintenance. I know that it does not sound fun, But nothing sucks more than your truck breaking down with a problem that could have been prevented. I would start with spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor or button, fuel filter, coolant flush, trans service, change fluids in T-case, front and rear diffs. Then I would move on to checking the brake pads, rotors and fluid condition. Check out your u-joints, Take it in for an alignment (it would stink to eat up those tires because worn front end parts). I there are any oil leaks I would fix them. Then, after you take care of all that stuff and if you still have money left, buy something fun. That is just my .02 cents!
  3. coltonblaze

coltonblaze New Member

Wise advice! And I would take it but the guy before me owned a body and repair shop and took care of all of that stuff when he bought it. He changed the spark plugs less than 300miles ago. also the wheels and tires are only around 1,000 miles old and he aligned everything at his shop. But thanks for the advice!
    Any advice for fun stuff? Haha
  4. DamnThatMexican

DamnThatMexican New Member

That's cool you got yr first trunk
    i know you may know this but, when you go muddying I would take a another person with a truck or at get a good witsh or at least some good long heavy duty chains, if you get stunk.
    mayby higher gear for those 20" that would bring up yr gas mileage.
    o be wared if you take it muddying be prepared to you may bent, break or at least scratch the paint