new to wheels and tires. help!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Jeeewwwski, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Jeeewwwski

Jeeewwwski New Member

Hi im new to the forum and to moddin trucks. I recently got a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 package and its 4x4. Im thinking of putting on some bigger tires just for the look mainly not to do too much offroading. I was thinking about some 30's or 31's. Something that would fit without putting a lift on for now. Im looking for any suggestions on tire size and rim size. Im looking more at the super swamper selections and with some 15" rims. Would i need to get a rim with an offset or a certain backspacing if so does anyone know how much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

new to wheels and tires, help

I also have a 05 Z-71, and 15inch wheels will not clear the brakes. I also think 16s will not clear either. The Z-71s with heavy duty trailer towing package had larger brakes .

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My '04 Z/71 came with 17" wheels and 265R70x17 tires (about 31.5" tall). As said above, the brakes need the 17" wheels. Good luck and welcome to the site!

4. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Let me echo a few things:

17" rims are the SMALLEST that you can use on the 2005. I've physically tried to put 16s and 16.5s and they will not fit over the OEM brake components.

The stock tires on a Z are indeed 31.5" tires, so you could probably squeeze some 32s on there. I'm pretty sure that you will need about 4.5 inches of BSing, but then again...I'm not sure on the BS requirement for a stocker Z.

5. shurshot

shurshot Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome to the Group! Hang around here and you will get plenty of helpful advice, these guys are great!

Good Luck!

6. Jeeewwwski

Jeeewwwski New Member

Thanks for all the help guys!

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

a 285/70/17 should fit just fine (32.8 inches) give or take