Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New tool box

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by reggiecab2000, Dec 2, 2011.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Anyone have any suggestion for where i can good a reliable, durable black toolbox??? or have any coupons or connections for someone i can get one from for a price that wont break my bank? im really in need of a new one
    low-profile or standard works as long as its well built and lasts.
    thanks for any input :)

2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Are you looking for a plastic or metal one? What's your budget? Have you looked on Craigslist?

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

what type of toolbox are you looking for?

4. reggiecab2000

Metal no question! And obviously good tool boxes are in the $400 range :( I would like to say 400 is my max I have ha a silver 2 lid continental accessories one on my truck for 7 years but it had always been crap and having 2 lids sucks. I want a single lid. I have looked on craiglists multiple times and hardl did more than 5 matches all of which suck. I see delta and deezee alOt. Soooo if you know better brands let me know or it a local lowes sears or home depot has the best bet lol. Thanks guys

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I had a uws butterfly box that lasted years. Nir sure what it cosrs nir though.

6. GMCErica

GMCErica Rockstar 3 Years GMTC Chick 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

7. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Here is a business right in your home town that looks like they have a great selection of what you are looking for!!!

http://www.truckersequipment.com/contact.cfm
    Truck Equipment & Pickup Accessories
    1501 N. Port Ave
    Corpus Christi, TX 78401-1615
    Phone: (361)882-2508
    Fax: (361) 887-0129

8. reggiecab2000

thanks for the input guys (and girl) lol and redz71 i just saw that place last night and they carry that UWS brand steve is talking about, they just didnt have any prices and i didnt know if those toolboxes had a good reputation or not, but yeah i guess ill keep my eyes out on ebay and craigslist hoping someone might want to get rid of one, or fork out the money for a good one....

9. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I have a UWS toolbox on my truck (got for nothing from a friend who works at a local DPW. WIN) and my dad has one on his truck as well and they're pretty much bulletproof. Well worth the money IMO. Again, check on craigslist, I've seen used diamond plate toolboxes in great shape for under $100.

10. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Easy solution if you find a nicer used chrome one on CL..

Go from this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

With maybe $20 in materials. I used a spray paint bed liner, and while I only have one coat on it, it has held up very well! It was $10 a can, but I got two and painted my headache rack with it as well. If you want gloss, I suggest using a few coats of clear coat as well which will still put you in the $20-$30 range. I would suggest to stay away from Kobalt and Better Built brand tool boxes. The latching mechanism on both are terrible and will allow the box to randomly open on braking. I fixed mine by hitting both tops of the latches (while the box was closed) with a sledge, but now it is a little harder to open. For $400 being your max budget, I'd suggest Weather Guard or UWS, maybe even a used Protech (maybe have to drop a couple extra Benjamin's for a new one). All are brands I have used in past work and current and all are very well built and extremely well functioning boxes.