New Tow Mirrors Installed

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Red Z71 Max, Feb 18, 2012.

1. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I like the tow mirror mod...nice addition! I agree with the others regarding the chrome aspect though. I understand you going for the Red/Chrome contrast (as I'm trying to do with the White/Black). If you are happy with it, that's really all that counts.

PS.. I haven't logged onto the site in a few weeks and I guess I missed the "censored" part of your sig. Is that your way of asking people to withhold negative comments that are what you consider rude? Sorry for not understanding but I think you have a nice looking ride that members can get good ideas from and am wondering why you are blocking it out.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. Blackout07

Blackout07 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Seems like those guys over on GMFS have you a little wound up, and funny how you are starting to act just like them. I didn't personally attack you, but rather commented on a truck mod, that was posted on an opinion-based internet forum. But now you are essentially calling me obnoxious and comparing me to the childish name-calling antics on another site. Hypocritical much?

3. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

looks great ......how long of an install was it ??...thanks Brian

4. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I think the tow mirrors look sharp. Personally i like them in black but as stated its your rig so as long as you like then thats all that matters. Sorry some lost Toddler is censoring your pictures. Must be a jealousy issue.

5. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

They are not power folding. I looked all over to try and find that option but as far as I can tell the power fold is not an option offered on the tow style mirrors.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

I'm not sure where you can get one. It was on the truck when I bought it. It is the same ornament that they used in the late 70's early 80's. I was going to take it off buT there is 3 holes in the hood. 2 for the mounting screws and 1 for the spring. You could try eBay or do a Google search.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Total install was about 2 hours. You have to remove the door panels, unplug wiring harnes, unbolt old mirrors, install new mirrors and rewrite and secure. Reinstall door panels. I will say I have a problem. After the install I found that both Putco vent visors are broken. The clearance on the tows are a little different and pinch the visors. The drivers side cracked just a little but the passenger side is a different story. My wife put the window down for the dog, and when she put it up it caught the visor and broke a piece of the visor off. I ordered new visors and will have to trimm the mirror bracket slightly with a Dremel tool so there is sufficient clearance for the visors. Kind of a pain but live and learn.

6. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

oh well, at least you will have either custom window visors, or custom mirror brackets ......what the hey !!!

Brian from Canada

7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm glad you just mentioned the thing about your vent visors because I'm about to buy some vent visors looks like they will be getting trimmed. And they're aren't any towing mirrors that are power folding. Well that I know of ... I know plenty of guys with factory tow mirrors and most of them have ltzs. And the only trick part of the install for me was getting that clip out for the door handle but it only took me about 45 minutes to do it, I'm also a very faster worker. And don't tighter the nuts down or you'll crack the mirror mounts

8. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just wanted to chime in on power folding tow mirrors as an option - the definite answer is that GM is yet to do that. You can get power extending mirrors for the 2003-2006 trucks, but those weren't power folding either.

So far, I'm pretty sure Ford is the only company to have power folding tow mirrors... and those ones are also power extending. It's actually crossed my mind a couple of times that a bit of fabrication and wiring would get them to work nicely on a GM, but it doesn't seem like anyone anywhere on the internet has done it yet.

9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I wonder if I can gut my old mirrors that have power folding and build it into the tow mirror. I wish I had my old mirrors at my house at school. There 4 hours away. I'll try it out in a couple of weeks

10. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I think the mirrors look good, but I also like the idea of painting the bottom 1/2 - 2/3's. Truck looks great all in all. :great: