1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Toyo Open Country AT II

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 2011laserblue, Feb 4, 2013.

1. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Didn't realize Toyo came out with a new version of the Open Country AT....I think I'm a little late on this but I haven't seen a thread about them so I figured I would start one!

As some of you might know, I was really torn on my next set of tires...decided I was going to to with the Toyo MT's....but now I see these new AT's and I might reconsider my decision.

Anyone running these or know someone running these? 65,000 mile warranty on them...pretty impressive. If you don't like them after 500 miles you can give them back...

They look REALLY nice...best looking AT tire I've seen. It actually looks like their MT, just a little more mild. They come in "Extreme" for the bigger sizes, I'm hoping a 305/55/20 falls under that category, because then they look even better.

I'm still probably around 80 percent sure I still want the MT's...the general consensus seems to be that they handle extremely well for an MT on the road, and people get pretty good mileage out of them..some in excess of 40,000 miles. I like having the option to go offroading and not worry about getting stuck that I will get with the MT's. I'm not an extreme offroader, but like I said, I like having the option. However, if the AT's are substantially cheaper, because I've heard the MT's come with a price, I will probably go with the AT's and get over 60,000 miles out of them. I haven't been able to find prices on either.

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

Here's what it looks like...unsure about the size. Looks like around a 33 to me..

[​IMG]
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Looks like in a 20" rim size your 305 options are 305/50R20 AND 305/60R20. (No 55% profile option...)
  3. 2011laserblue

I can always count on you, surreal. :glasses:
    Where did you see those sizes at? I just checked toyo's website and I see a 305/55/20...I just have no way of telling if it is the "XTREME" version, which is a much more aggressive sidewall pattern. I guess I'll just head over to a tire shop and ask myself...will probably get my answer quicker... :)
  4. SurrealOne

I checked to see what 4wheelparts had for sale on the AT2's. I mean it's one thing for Toyo to say they sell something, but in addition to them selling it you actually need someone to carry it ... so you should search vendor sites. :)
  5. 2011laserblue

Heres something that made me scratch my head....
    Have heard guys talk about how heavy the MT's are....but according to toyo's spec sheet on their website, it shows the ATII's being heavier....

33x12.5x20 Open Country MT
    Overall diamater (inch) 33", width (inch) 12.6", weight, 71.7lbs

305/55/20 Open Country ATII
    Overall diameter (inch) 33.2", width, 12.4, weight, 73.9lbs

I thought the MT's were heavier? And why would they have metric sizes for one tire, but standard sizes for another?

Figured you could help with this one [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION]
  6. SurrealOne

I've not heard that MT's are heavier than AT's, so I can't speak to that. (Frankly, I also just don't care about 2.2lbs per tire.)

I also can't speak to why there'd be metric sizes for one and standard for the other. I see that a fair bit and I just convert between them with a converter when I need to do so.
  7. 2011laserblue

I have not heard about the AT's being heavier than the MT's either...it is just something I noticed when looking at the spec sheet. Some of the reviews that I have been reading though suggested that the Toyo MT's are just a heavy tire in general. With the 33x12.50x20 being nearly 72 pounds, they are 10lbs heavier than the 305/55/20 duratracs I am currently running..

I'm not all that concerned with 2.2lbs per tire myself, I just thought it was a bit odd to see the MT tire (which has been said to be heavy) be lighter than the new AT tire.

Regardless, what will ultimately come down to for me is price. If the At's are substantially cheaper, I will go with them. If it is only a couple hundred more to go with the MT, I will do that and have a much more "capable" tire.

At least I have a plan...before I didn't have a clue :neutral:

What do you think about the weight difference? Is it a big deal to add an additional 40 pounds to stupid 3.08 gears?
  8. SurrealOne

It's probably not that odd. MT's have bigger gaps in the tread pattern in order to evacuate mud/water from them. On an AT these gaps are smaller -- meaning there's more material present than on a MT in order to fill in that space. That's one theory, anyway -- which may or may not be correct -- but which makes logical sense.

I would not run 33's on 3.08 gears; the truck would be a dog off the line and drop out of OD on inclines that it otherwise wouldn't with proper gearing. (Your 6-speed makes that less noticeable MPG-wise than it is on a 4-speed tranny.) Heck, my truck was a dog off the line with 3.73's and 34" tires -- which is why I regeared not long after the tires were put on the truck.
  9. Chuggo

Chuggo New Member

I just had a set of Toyo OC MT's put on today - 35x12.50 r20. Tried to get a set of the ATII's but they are on national backorder. Manufacturer said they wouldn't be available until April. Hope the MT's will suffice as I drive mainly highway with occassional offroad on the beaches here in Texas.
  10. 2011laserblue

Yeah, my truck is a dog off the line..and I drop out of OD on very slight inclines. Been trying to get through it though. I would like to re-gear but you would obviously have to mess with the trucks computer to reset everything. I wanted to re-calibrate my speedo for going up to 33" tires but the dealer said that it would void the warranty? So..that is why I haven't re-geared yet.

I would really like to go up to a 3.73 or 4.10. I know I had a thread where you and others provided a lot of valuable information. With the 6 speed I'm almost thinking 3.73s. Gearing low scares me...I don't want my truck screaming on the highway, which honestly is where I spend about 70 percent of my time.