New Transmission Cooler....

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by 99'HEARTBEAT, Jul 13, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A few years back I installed, a Mag-Hytec Aluminum Finned Deep Transmission Pan, after noticing that my Transmission Temps were running around....180-190 and sometimes just over 200 Degrees, after installing it, I saw a Drop in my Transmission Temp's to around 180/190 Degrees.....But I still was Not Comfortable having my Transmission running at these number's.......even tho these number's are with-in the Temp's expressed in the Owner's Manual.........As I and Most of you guys Know the Biggest Killer of Auto Transmission's is.....HEAT!!!.

After doing some research regarding Swapping out my Factory Trans. Cooler with a Larger Aftermarket Transmission Cooler......The Aftermarket Transmission Cooler of choice I was seeing, is the True Cool 40K Transmission Cooler.

So after ordering not only the 40K Cooler, I ordered a EAD's Transmission Mounting Bracket Kit, which comes with New Upper and Lower Mounting Brackets for the 40k Cooler.....along with all the Mounting Bolts-n-Hardware and 2 Inverted Flair Fittings and the Compression Fitting.

Below are some pictures of the install of the True Cool 40K Transmission Cooler
    Factory Transmission Cooler

[​IMG]
    New True Cool 40K Installed With New EAD Upper and Lower Mounting Brackets

[​IMG]

Install of the Inverted Flair Fittings to both of the Transmission Hard-lines
    [​IMG]

Install of the Compression(Brass)Fitting........to be able to Spin the Passenger Side Hard-Line 180 Degrees to Line-Up/Fit onto the Threads of the 40K Cooler
    [​IMG]

Here are the items that come with the 40K Cooler

The 2 Inverted Flair Fittings and Compression(Brass)Fitting that were supplied in the EAD Mounting Bracket Kit,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan
    http://www.mag-hytec.com/transmission.htm

........This past Saturday we when Boating and this was the first time Towing my Boat with the New 40K Transmission Cooler.....the Temp's were in the low to mid 90's.......the Transmission Temp's Never went over 150 Degrees!!.......about 30/40 Degrees Cooler than with the Factory Transmission Cooler......I would just say that this is without question the Best Mod I've done to help with Cooling my Transmission Temps.......

Anyone Towing a Boat or Travel/Car Trailer....this would be a item to keep in mind for a Up-Grade......The Time it took to do the installed.......was a little over Hour......for the most part this was Plug and Play Installed, the only Mod was the cutting of the Passenger-Side Hard-lines for the Compression Fitting.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Wow thats quite an improvement over the factory trans cooler:great:
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

Ya David, I was Very Pleased when seeing the Trans. Temp I mentioned, this new cooler is almost....3 Times Larger than the Factory Cooler.....after hearing/reading about other guys who have done this Cooler Swap, I felt it was worth a try.....I'm glad I did this Upgrade!!
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

did you notice any difference with engine temps (going up) due to the larger area covering the radiator? Probably wouldnt due to the fans doing a good job of pulling air through the radiator but thought I'd ask.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

That was one item that I thought about David, But my Engine Temps were the same as they were before installing this larger Cooler....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  6. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That looks like stock and works better my fav type of mod.. guess i need to take a look at one for the ram since we all know how much those trannys like heat even though i have the new 5spd auto! thanks for showing how easy is actually is!
  7. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nice mod and informative write up Mike, sounds worth doing even though I don't tow much.
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Well, that's very interesting to say the least. It makes sense that a larger trans cooler would do a much more effective job for cooling, I didn't think it would do that much of a difference. 90 degrees is like nice bath water, lol.
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nice write-up Mike!
  10. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Those are good numbers Mike. Your weather is about the same as here during boating season. How much does your boat & trailer weigh?