New Transmission Cooler....

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by 99'HEARTBEAT, Jul 13, 2011.

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

It did save a bunch of time and made the install easy. I can't remember what I paid for it but it was well worth the reduction of having to reinvent the wheel. The only extra things I did was paint all the parts flat black with high temp paint and use a Swagelock compression fitting instead of the one supplied. Why did I do use the Swagelock instead of the one supplied? I have used those fittings in my job for almost 20 yrs. So it is a bit of peice of mind.

2. Jaele

Jaele Rockstar 100 Posts

Nice, thanks for the info [MENTION=40941]aloxdaddy99[/MENTION]

I sent time a pm just waiting for a reply now.

3. WonderinWhat

WonderinWhat New Member

I have an 08 silverado crew cab 4.8L, I have read through this entire thread and one thing I have not seen is if it is possible to install this cooler if you do not have the stock aux cooler?? I just bought the tru cool part today from oregon transmission but I am seeing I need to get the EAD kit as well, which I will need to get info on that shortly. I guess the biggest thing is, is there a write up for those of us that dont have the external cooler installed?

I live in Arizona where my trans temps are normally into the 200s, if not higher. Last summer while towing a 2500lb trailer up the hills when it was 110 outside, my gauge got up to 235!!! I was not comfortable with that at all!! I would like to see them a lot lower, which is why I bought the trans cooler.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How to buy the EAD mounting kit has been answered (recently, in fact). Use the search tool and you should find the thread. I posted it, but I don't remember all the details off the top of my head.

Also, since I'm thinking about it, did you by the cooler with bypass or did you just buy the cooler? I am asking because those with the OEM auxiliary cooler already have a bypass so they don't need the bypass (as they already have one they'll take advantage of). Without the OEM auxliary cooler you will probably need the bypass if you truck is ever in cool weather (40F or lower).

As for installation without the OEM auxiliary cooler, it can be done, but I do not recall seeing a write-up about it, here.

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I did a quick search and was able to find a thread on another forum for an OEM looking install. He found OEM lines to run from the tranny to the cooler for About $90. He stated that you could find something $30-40 cheaper but there was some cutting and splicing so it looked less than factory. The link that was provided does not work or I would include it. He took pics of the instructions that came with it and they are detailed so even a dummy like me could install.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

6. WonderinWhat

WonderinWhat New Member

SurrealOne,
    Thank you for the information! I got the 47391 which I don't believe it has the bypass, I was at the understanding that I already had something in place with what runs through the radiator, but I could be wrong. Very rarely am I in temperatures below 40 but it does happen once in a while through the winter mornings. I also thought I would need some info pm'd to me about getting the bracket so I put that out there but if its already there I'll find it. Thanks!

Aloxdaddy,
    Thank you for providing that information!! I was looking at this kit last night wondering if it would work out for me, do you know what website you found the write up on and I can search for it?? Thank you!

When I bought this truck I had no idea what other features it had other than what I could see right away, I bought it 2 years old. I have come to find out it's kind of a nightmare for towing. It's the 4.8L with 3.23 gears and no tow package, but I do have tow/haul mode and a receiver. I can tow what I have without an issue but I am very limited, which is frustrating! I'm doing the best I can with what I've got

- - - Updated - - -

After doing much research, I have discovered how to install the cooler in to my truck with out the factory cooler, but the only thing I have not seen so far is which way the inlet and outlets are on the cooler....Im guessing it will show on the cooler itself but I just wanted to be sure?

7. WonderinWhat

WonderinWhat New Member

I got my cooler, fabed up some mounting tabs, ran the lines and got it up and running. Since installing it, I have not seen my temps go above 150 but that's under normal driving conditions. I'm interested to see what happens when towing. It's been about 106 degrees today and the transmission temperatures are staying down. As everyone else has noted, this is a great product!

8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Thats great to hear.

9. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

I am actually interested to know if this cooler and setup would work on an older '89 K2500 with the OEM tranny cooler and TH400 transmission?

10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Sorry to inform you this but the Cooler they are speaking of doesn't fit in the 88-98/99 trucks because of their nose design.

99/00-2007 design
    IMG_3002-1.jpg IMG_3007-1.jpg
    88-98/99 design
    2012-05-13_09-16-10_565.jpg 2012-05-13_09-16-04_392b.JPG

Because of the large center component in the radiator support and the shape of the grill the huge trucool could never fit in a truck from this era. The better bet is a smaller cooler from B&M or if trucool has a smaller one.

And I know it won't fit not just from pictures but from measuring the space there is.