New Transmission Cooler....

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by 99'HEARTBEAT, Jul 13, 2011.

1. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just wanted to let you know that this is a great write up. I enjoyed reading this thread and can relate to the part about upgrades and wives. Guess it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that goes through these things. I'm hoping to get a boat very soon and think this is an upgrade well worth investing in, so thanks for the write up.

2. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Was just wondering how you like the upgrade. Also was wondering what kind of cooler you went with.

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Thanks for the Kind words, regarding the Write-up I did and the remark about the Wives...........as I mentioned, doing this 40K Cooler Swap, was not only one of the easiest Mods/Upgrades I've Done, but also One of the Best mods, to help with Keeping Transmission Temps Down when Towing Boat, and last Mfleetwoood, Installed with the Same True Cool 40K Cooler, That I installed.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The same one Mike (99'Heartbeat) did the write up on...True Cool 40k. It's been great so far. On average, my city driving temp averages about 40 degrees less than my stock cooler had me running (~200 degrees down to ~160). However, the off-roading has been much more substantial, as at times my tranny could hit up to 235 or so but now hasn't broken 170, but I have only been off-roading once since the swap, so I'll have to go a few more times before I am comfortable saying it is consistent.

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Could you run both the stock and this aftermarket one? I am interested in helping the tranny anyway I can. I am also looking into the corvette servo upgrade to give a more solid shift.

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The 40k Cooler that Fleetwood and I have Installed, is Almost 3-Times Larger than the Factory Trans. Cooler, and Does an Excellent Job with keeping the Transmission Temps Down,

Another Item/Part.......that helps with Reducing Transmission Temps is a Aftermarket.....Aluminum Finned Deep Transmission Pan, and the one I installed, was Mag-Hytec's Transmission Pan(Link below)......I had it installed before going with the 40K Cooler, and it reduced my Transmission Temps on Avg. by 10-Degrees.

http://www.mag-hytec.com/transmission.htm

7. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I don't see why you couldn't from a mechanical standpoint but it might take some pretty good modification to get the additional cooler to fit. However, like Mike mentions this cooler does an excellent job. It is rated for someone towing up to 40k lbs. And I think you'd also see better results than I with your lower elevation (denser air) and humidity. Since these are fairly easy to install, you may want to try an after-market first and if you still need more, then try adding back in your stock.

8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I don't pull a trailer but a few times a year. I mainly am intersted in this mod because of wheeling in the sand. So the cooler I can keep the trany and engine for that matter the happier I and the truck will be.
    [MENTION=25593]99'HEARTBEAT[/MENTION]. I have question about the lines running to the new cooler. I see where you flipped the one on the left of the pic. How did you stretch the line going to the right side of the cooler (as looking at your pic)?

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

Underneath the Radiator, mounted to the fame, there's an E-Clip(Plastic)which holds both Transmission Hard-lines in place, all I did was remove and move the e-clip over just a little...2-3ins" to the Right and then Drill one new hole for the E-Clip, and those 2-3ins" was all that was needed to installed the Right-hand side Transmission Hard-line to the New Cooler, Most guys that have done this swap, don't bother with moving the e-clip......and that's why I didn't mention it in the write-up.....

[​IMG]

10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Living in an area where we have four distinct seasons and, as a result, sometimes near-freezing temperatures, I am curious if a transmission cooler can be too big? I know up north people add bypasses to handle the cold weather. Are there any locking issues with the Tru-Cool 40k GVW in weather circa 25-40F, especially when the truck is first started/cold?