1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Transmission Cooler....

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by 99'HEARTBEAT, Jul 13, 2011.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm waiting on my cooler and EAD mounting kit to arrive. However I've got to get a tranny gauge in the cluster before I install it ... so that'll get tackled first.
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

Mine is on the way also!!
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Going with and Installing the 40K Cooler, it One of the Best Upgrades/Mods, you will do to your Truck!!
  4. XS ive

XS ive New Member

I should have mine today. I got the EAD kit yesterday and pulled the grill in anticipation of install. My 08 has a big steel bracket that mounts the grill right in front of the OEM cooler and hood latch. I'm hoping the TruCool fits right in there too. Without having the cooler here it's tough to estimate fit. It looks like the top bracket from the EAD kit will bolt in, but I'm not sure how the bottom one goes. I have a piece of angled steel in there that holds the lower OEM cooler mount. I'm hoping it will be no problem. Tim from EAD said that additional modification of bracket may be necessary, and mfleetwood said it was a fairly easy process on his 08.
    We shall see.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

Charlie......below are Diagrams of the Front Radiator/Transmission Cooler Mounting Support's from My 99"....Mfleetwoods 08" and your 09"......as you can see, All 3 Trucks have the same Mounting Support Brackets for the 40K Cooler, on yours and Mike's, as you mentioned, there is the Bracket for Hood Latch,

My 99" Radiator/Transmission Cooler Mounting Supports
    [​IMG]

My 99" Front-end

[​IMG]

Mfleetwood's 08"Radiator/Transmission Cooler Mounting Supports
    [​IMG]

Your 09"Radiator/Transmission Cooler Mounting Supports
    [​IMG]

I hope by posting these Diagrams, it helps you a little as to the fitment of the 40K Cooler on your Silverado.....sorry that I'm unable to help, with installing the Cooler on your Truck, but as Mfleetwood has mentioned installing the EAD kit (
    was a fairly easy process on his 08")......Keep us up to date, when you do the install of the EAD Kit, and of course the install of the 40K Cooler .....
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. XS ive

XS ive New Member

Thanks Mike. I have an 08 which appears similiar to MFleets. Like I said, I'm just having a hard time trying to envision the TruCool in there. The lower bracket on my truck is an "L" bracket and is welded to the uprights. This bracket is also used as an attachment for bottom of the inner grill bracket. I think I'm either going to have to remove it and use the EAD, or maybe slide the cooler forward so it misses the front of the "L".
    I'll figure it out, Just make take a few extra minutes!
    Thanks once again for your help!
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had to paint the EAD Performance brackets (flat black, high heat primer ... which I also cured with a baking process), as they were shiny aluminum. I'm hoping I don't have to paint the cooler, too...
  8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

[MENTION=37237]mfleetwood[/MENTION]. I got a response from the guy for the EAD mounting kit. He stated that it will take a little fab work to get the kit to work in my 11'. How much if any did you have to do on your 08?
  9. XS ive

XS ive New Member

It's in. Here's what I found on my 08:

-The EAD upper bracket works fine.
    -The lower EAD bracket was not needed as I have an existing angle support for attaching the grill that is welded in. The OEM cooler was mounted on this also. I simply used an existing hole on the right side(pass) and drilled one hole on the left. I used a hollow sleeve for a spacer, but it isn't necessary. The cooler is mounted securely with mm's to spare behind the grill bracket. I could have notched the bracket for extra clearance but it should be fine.
    -I have a temp sensor on each side of the support frame which I relocated. They would have been behind the TruCool and I wasn't sure what they actually were used for so I just moved them up and back where they would have "clear air".
    -The hood sensor was also re-routed because that's just how I am.
    -The fittings from EAD were a perfect fit and a breeze to use. Those little clips to hold the hard lines in are pretty trick.
    -I topped off my fluid with about half a quart and checked fittings. While doing so I touched each line of the TruCool and the return line was noticeably cooler to the touch. ???? Maybe it was just me, or this thing is just that efficient.
    -I have the bypass but did not install it at this time.

I will post pictures in near future, and let you know how it works towing on Sunday.

Thanks to Mike99 and Mikefleet for answering questions and helping me spend money!
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  10. 99'HEARTBEAT

Charlie, from reading what you've mentioned, it sound like the install of the EAD Kit, wasn't to hard, and went Well for you on your 08"NNBS Silverado, which is going to help those thinking and/or wanting to do this mod on their NNBS Silverado/Sierra's.....as you have done a Nice Write-Up, with Pictures(to follow) for them to help with doing the install of the 40K Cooler......:great:

Edit.....Charlie, as far as helping you Spend your Money, Anytime......:lol:.......All kidding aside, this one of of the Best Upgrades/Mods, you will do, with lowering your Transmission Temps. when Towing.....
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014