1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Transmission Cooler....

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by 99'HEARTBEAT, Jul 13, 2011.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You guys are making me want to get this installed soon, dang it! I've got a few projects ahead of it, though. Meh.
  2. XS ive

XS ive New Member 100 Posts

Okay, the pictures.
    First the lower angled bracket that is welded in my truck. The cooler mounting tab rests on the horizontal front of this and I simply bolted it to the vertical portion. The hard line ends from EAD make the install very easy and look factory. Just take a second to figure out how the little spring clips work. Like 99Heartbeat, I just moved the d/s line over and sliced the soft lower shroud to re-install.
    IMAG0111.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg

Top view of the spacing with the angled bracket. You can also see the temp sensor I re-located. The TruCool actually sits about an inch further forward than the OEM.
    IMAG0109.jpg

Finished product installed. It ended up fitting in behind the center bracket with minimal clearance.
    IMAG0108.jpg

I was dissappointed the cooler arrived with bent fins and straightened them the best I could. I did not bother painting the cooler as you can't see it through my grill anyway.
    Overall the install of the TruCool was fairly easy. I'd say the most difficult part was figuring out how the grill clips operated (squeeze them together) and removing the grill without scratching my bumper.
    Initially I was going to bend and cut the "mounting straps" that came with the cooler and attach to the lower bracket, but went ahead and bolted it straight to the bracket without them. The mounting tabs of the cooler are secured and it should be fine.

Please excuse the rusty bolts and dirt on my poor truck. She has been neglected and asked to do a lot more work then she is accustomed to.
    I will update after towing to the track on Sunday. I am hoping the trans temps stay well below the 200* I routinely saw before install.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  3. XS ive

XS ive New Member 100 Posts

So, it's not scientific by any means, but here are my findings. Yesterdays ambient temps were about 15* cooler only being in the low mid 70s, low 80s. Everything else identical, trailer weight within 200lbs., traffic conditions, etc..
    My Trans temp gauge maxed out at 158*. That is easily a 30-35* drop.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A 30-35 Degree Drop in your Trucks Transmission Temps with the 40K Cooler.......that's Great Charlie!!......my Transmission Temps, since the install of the 40K on Truck, have not gone over 160, when Towing my Boat, with ambient temps in the 90's......
  5. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

What is the exact kit for my 2009 Silverado 1500 CC Z71??...i have the HD tow package on the truck already so im not sure what the exact kit i need...and do i need a bypass??
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

Living in Iowa, I would think, that you would be looking at the 40K that comes with the Thermal Bypass, the is Part Number....LDP4739.....here is information and the Specs on the 40K,
    NEW Long Tru-Cool Max transmission cooler P/N LPD4739. This cooler is rated at 40,000 GVW and measures 8.5"x22.75"x1.25". This is a stacked plate, low pressure drop unit. This cooler has 3/8" inverted flare fittings and comes with a thermal bypass valve so you can use this cooler in Cold Weather and the fluid will bypass until the transmission comes up to operating temeratures. This is the ultimate cooler for heavy towing and is a must for heavy duty applications, including racing. Heat is what kills an automatic transmission. If you want to extend the life of your transmission and avoid or prolong a costly rebuild, this is very cheap insurance. All parts and instructions are included to mount and plumb this cooler. This cooler comes with a manufacturer's limited lifetime warranty.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The other item you would need, is the EAD Mounting Bracket Kit, which is the same kit that I use...along with Mfleetwood and Charlie(XS Live) to installed the 40K Cooler.........if not the 40K Cooler, does come with Universal Mount Brackets and the Hardware, along with the items mentioned above.

Edit.....if you do Install this 40k Cooler, PM me and I'll pass on the information, regarding where you can Buy the EAD Transmission Mounting Bracket Kit, for the Cooler.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  7. ChevyBoy2009

Sounds great...where did you purchase yours from??
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

For the 40K Cooler, E-Bay has the Best Pricing on them and on the Pricing and Where to buy EAD Kit, I'll PM you that information.
  9. ChevyBoy2009

Sounds good...i heard its pretty hard to do but maybe i heard wrong??
  10. 99'HEARTBEAT

Mfleetwood and XS Live, as they Install the 40k and EAD Kit on their Trucks, they should be able to give you some input/insight on the Install of the EAD Kit/40k......as they have the same model truck as yours.....but for me installing the EAD Kit/40k Cooler on my Truck, was a Very Easy Install....