1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New Transmission Cooler....

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by 99'HEARTBEAT, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ive been checking on Ebay and can find the exact one i need...but maybe im blind:neutral:

2. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

The only nervous part I had of install was cutting the hard line to install a compression fitting. I had a tubing cutting in my tool box and it made short clean work of it. The hard lines slide and clip into the OEM cooler and new EAD fittings. I just looked at the new fittings for a few minutes to figure the clips out. A small screwdriver popped them right out. Very easy! If you are using the bypass, you will be using rubber hose to connect.
    I also purchased the bypass with the TruCool, but I did not install it. I read somewhere that my 2008 with the HD tow package may have an internal bypass. I also just replaced the OEM cooler with the TruCool so the fluid will run through the radiator first anyway. I guess when the cold weather arrives I'll find out if I need it. Seeing as my truck is a "garage queen" for most of the winter I don't forsee a problem.
    If you have any problems feel free to contact me, or 99, or mfleet.

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

4. XS ive

TruCool Max LPD47391 (without bypass)
    TruCool max LPD4739 (with bypass)

I see 99 is a faster typer! lol

5. ChevyBoy2009

How would i know if i have the HD Towing package??...it gets pretty cold up here in Iowa in the winter and those early morning hunting trips are quite chilly,maybe i should get the bypass?

6. XS ive

If you have the OEM trans cooler, you have the tow package. I'm not sure if that has a bypass though.
    I believe the bypass is for applications which completely bypass the radiator. Maybe someone can shed some light on that?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  7. ChevyBoy2009

I do have the OEM cooler

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Mfleetwood answered that earlier in the thread. To wit, he said:

Hope that helps...

9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I just got the cooler and mounting kit. How long did it take you all to install yours? Just wondering how much time I should set aside.

10. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It took me around an Hour and 15mins, from start to finish, I would say give yourself at leased 2 hours, Mfleetwood and XS live would be able to give you a much better time fame, as to how long your going to need to do the install....as all of you have NNBS Trucks....