New Transmission Cooler....

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by 99'HEARTBEAT, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ive been checking on Ebay and can find the exact one i need...but maybe im blind:neutral:

2. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

The only nervous part I had of install was cutting the hard line to install a compression fitting. I had a tubing cutting in my tool box and it made short clean work of it. The hard lines slide and clip into the OEM cooler and new EAD fittings. I just looked at the new fittings for a few minutes to figure the clips out. A small screwdriver popped them right out. Very easy! If you are using the bypass, you will be using rubber hose to connect.
    I also purchased the bypass with the TruCool, but I did not install it. I read somewhere that my 2008 with the HD tow package may have an internal bypass. I also just replaced the OEM cooler with the TruCool so the fluid will run through the radiator first anyway. I guess when the cold weather arrives I'll find out if I need it. Seeing as my truck is a "garage queen" for most of the winter I don't forsee a problem.
    If you have any problems feel free to contact me, or 99, or mfleet.

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

4. XS ive

TruCool Max LPD47391 (without bypass)
    TruCool max LPD4739 (with bypass)

I see 99 is a faster typer! lol

5. ChevyBoy2009

How would i know if i have the HD Towing package??...it gets pretty cold up here in Iowa in the winter and those early morning hunting trips are quite chilly,maybe i should get the bypass?

6. XS ive

If you have the OEM trans cooler, you have the tow package. I'm not sure if that has a bypass though.
    I believe the bypass is for applications which completely bypass the radiator. Maybe someone can shed some light on that?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  7. ChevyBoy2009

I do have the OEM cooler

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Mfleetwood answered that earlier in the thread. To wit, he said:

Hope that helps...

9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I just got the cooler and mounting kit. How long did it take you all to install yours? Just wondering how much time I should set aside.

10. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It took me around an Hour and 15mins, from start to finish, I would say give yourself at leased 2 hours, Mfleetwood and XS live would be able to give you a much better time fame, as to how long your going to need to do the install....as all of you have NNBS Trucks....