1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Transmission Cooler....

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by 99'HEARTBEAT, Jul 13, 2011.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You'll likely get yours done well before me since I'm traveling for work across the next two weeks. If you don't mind I may ping you for insight/assistance after your install, as you have a flaring tool and I do not?
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

With the kit from EAD it doesn't look like a flaring kit is needed. The compression fitting takes the place of needing to flare the tube.
  3. SurrealOne

4. aloxdaddy99

But I may use a better quality compression fitting. I have use Swagelock fittings for years and like the way they work better than the ones sent with the mounting kit.
  5. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

Correct. No need to flare with compression fitting. You likely will not need the lower bracket either as you may have a welded in angled steel piece you can use to bolt the mounting flange to.
    I did the install in 2 stages and would estimate a total of 2.5 hours needed to complete from hood opening to closing. The first stage was removing everything, and the second was the install. I am pretty anal though and will look at things and pre-fit, then adjust, then think, then repeat several times before I consider anything "done". And everything must be cleaned/waxed before being re-installed!
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  6. aloxdaddy99

Thanks [MENTION=29847]XS ive[/MENTION]. I am the same way. I hope to be able to knock this out next week while it is cooler out.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I have a little money left this summer and this moved to the top of my list since a couple weeks ago I was driving the truck, going through Corona about 113 outside and stop and go traffic. temp got to about 210 and only got back down to a hair under 200 once we started actually driving like you are supposed to on a highway.
  8. Jaele

Jaele Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Okay so where does one get the EAD mounting hardware?

And does a 2011 1500 even need it?
  9. SurrealOne

PM Time2Kill on the performancetrucks.net forums and inquire about it. (Here's a thread worth reading all of: http://tinyurl.com/ppuv88y.) You'll need to pay via paypal ... unless he's not got his NNBS test fitting done, in which case you may still be able to get a freebie.

Is it NEEDED? No, you can make your own mounts and plumb the new cooler to the existing cooler lines as you see fit. Does it save a lot of time and is it worth the cash if you either can't fabricate your own or don't want to? Absolutely.

I know @aloxdaddy99 used it (or portions of it) on his 2011 Sierra 1500... so maybe he can speak to the functionality of it on a 2011 NNBS.
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  10. Jaele

Jaele Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Awesome thank [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION]