New treads for the 1500. * pics * Odd tire size !

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by only1stegall, Oct 21, 2009.

1. only1stegall

only1stegall New Member

New treads for the 1500. * pics * Odd tire size ! 255/85/16

So I've been looking at tires for a while now, and I have a good friend that works for a major tire MFG and he turned me onto this size for my truck. These tires are 255/85/16 They are a fair amount taller then the 285 A/Ts I was running as you can see in that pictures. With the 285s I was having rubbing issues on the frame and sway bar at full lock, these 255s don't rub ANY WHERE !The width is what makes all the difference in the world on rubbing. That includes driving through a ditch at full lock both directions. Another added benefit with these tires is the decreased rolling resistance, due to the skinnier tire, should result in a little better fuel economy. I was concerned that it would look like a tractor with the skinny tires, but they look good on the truck. The added height defiantly messed with the gearing of the truck a little but it isnt enough to bother me. My truck is a 04 1500 2wd and it has the "leveling" coil spacers in the front and helpers in the rear. Over all I couldn't be happier with these tires, and hopefully if any one else has considered this size then these pictures can help you make an educated decision. I plan on adding the RC knuckle lift in the front and some blocks in the rear soon. Let me know what you guys think on how they look/fit on the truck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. only1stegall

only1stegall New Member

Also, if any one wonders, my truck has the 4.8 v8, 4 speed auto and 3.73 gears. The 255s measure 33 1/4 inches tall mounted with the truck on the ground.
  3. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder New Member

they look great, i got some 33x10.5x15 in those and i love em
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member

You may have less rolling resistance but that also decreases your braking area, with a smaller footprint on the ground. Will also mean you have a taller sidewall that will give more when cornering. Just cant say i am an advocate of going to a smaller tire then what is designed for a vehicle.
  5. only1stegall

only1stegall New Member

According to my window sticker the truck came from the factory with 255/70 16s I think the 255/85 is a excellent match for this truck for soem one who wants a taller tire.