Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New truck, a few maintenance questions. 02 Tahoe 5.3 with 200k

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by aero, Oct 13, 2013.

1. aero

aero New Member

I just picked up the Tahoe 4wd and was going over the truck tonight and had a few questions about the 4wd components and possible issues.

• On the front end, there is a little bit of play up and down (just enough to feel with my hand) where the drivers side axle goes into the front differential (not rotational play but physically up and down). There was no play on the passenger side. There does not appear to be any fluid leaking.

• Where the front driveshaft connects to the transfer case, there is also a slight bit of play up and down. There is also a fluid leak from the transfer case. The truck was parked and stopped while in 2wd. There was a bit of rotational play on the front driveshaft where it goes into the transfer case.

Do both of those things sound like problems? I am guessing the transfer case may be a worn pinion and seal.

There also was a somewhat loud noise that sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the engine like a knocking but I was unable to locate the noise with a stethoscope on the oil pan or anywhere near. It sounded like it was on the drivers side.

Thanks

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

the leak at the transfer case where the shaft goes in is probably the output shaft seal. as far as some of the movement Ive always had a little play. Not sure I am any help on the noise as of now.

3. aero

aero New Member