New truck guy - Blackfoot, Idaho

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by PurdueGuy, Aug 8, 2007.

1. PurdueGuy

PurdueGuy New Member

Just purchased this past friday a white 1998 K1500 Chevy Suburban LS 5.7L. Just moved to Idaho from Indiana. Didn't have a need for a truck or SUV in Indiana, but upon moving to Idaho it became clear that my wife & I needed something to:

-go play in the mountains
    -haul stuff when we buy & work on a house
    -haul people when they come visit
    -get through snow when it's really bad

In Indiana, our two Saturn coupes met all our needs. We'll still enjoy them for their fuel efficiency when we can, but I'm very much enjoying having a truck. :)

I knew I wanted a GM full size truck of some sort when we began shopping, after my dad got 340k+ miles out of his '92 GMC Sierra 1500. Only thing he ever had to do to it was replace the tranny once, the timing chain & gear setup, and some minimal tune-up/maintenance type stuff. Most of those miles were hauling livestock feed with the bed stuffed full, as well. All this on the base 6 cyl engine.

I'm enjoying the 8 cyl, though... :D

Pictures here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/PurdueGuy1/NewSuburban

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Your gonna enjoy having the big Suburban, Congrats and Welcome.

3. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site, great looking Suburban :great:

4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Nice suburban-like the color and year

Hey, nice Suburban.I approve of the color and year. This is my 1st Chevy truck also-a 2wd 1998 with 196,000 miles.It has been a pleasant surprise for such an old vehicle with so many miles on it.It is like having a covered long bed pickup with the comfortable ride of a big old 1966 Cadillac(better mpg than the Caddy of course).I'm happy and plan to change out the motor to a new GM Goodwrench motor when I get the $$(not that there is anything wrong with the motor,I'm doing it for the sake of reliability-we drive at night in remote areas far from home-across TX)
    Welcome,and luck,
    Charlie

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  5. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site and nice looking Suburban!:great:

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You'll get a lot of use out of your Burban in Idaho! I was born in Boise and lived in Idaho and / or Washington for 25 years. Many miles driven in a burban!

7. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome PurdueGuy.

I have a lot of relatives in SE Idaho, so I've been around that region a little bit.

Not that I'm an avid fisherman, but the biggest fish I ever caught was at Blackfoot reservoir.

More recently, we went camping between Gray's Lake and Palisades over the 4th of July a few years ago. It was quite memorable. One day we left camp to go four wheeling. Got to the end of the road, and hiked over to the snow field to see some old bear tracks. Then, we were all traumatized when we got back to camp to find our camp overrun with Mormon crickets. Those big ugly things were all over the tents, the table, roasting in the campfire, everywhere. We almost packed up camp and left, but we talked ourselves into staying (other than being ugly and disgusting and eating anything green, they are harmless). It makes for an interesting story, though.

You'll have a lot of fun playing in those mountains. Get some good tires for your burb. Do you have a G80 locker in the rear (check the RPO code list in the glove box)? Did you get the standard part time t-case, or did you get the Auto-trac?

8. PurdueGuy

PurdueGuy New Member

I don't see a G80 code in the glove box. That particularly good or bad?

Not sure on the transfer case - the 2wd/4wd buttons have an "auto 4wd" button... dunno if that tells you anything... *shrug*

Have been enjoying the back roads so far. Pictures here (the two "hill drive" albums most relevant)

http://picasaweb.google.com/PurdueGuy1

9. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

G80 is the RPO code for Eaton's "Gov-lock" locker that GM uses as an OEM traction device. Eaton's website has some basic descriptions of how it works.

I'm not sure whether it's good or bad. My Suburban has it, it works, and, therefore, I like it. However, it is also affectionately referred to as the "gov-bomb" because it likes to explode, necessitating a rebuild of the differential. Some say you have to use it pretty hard to get it to explode. Like I say, when it works, it's good, when it doesn't, it's bad.

Without the G80 (or other aftermarket traction aid), you only need two wheels (one front, one rear) to lose traction before you're stuck. With the G80 (under the right conditions), you have three wheels pulling.

That means you have the Auto-trac t-case (NV246).