New Truck!! Need fuel saving ideas...

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Chevyfuzz, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Chevyfuzz

Chevyfuzz New Member

Hello all!

I just got a 2003 Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax 6.6 L V8 and Alison 5-Speed combo. I've never owned a diesel before. I've already learned a ton from reading the different threads on this site. I'm wondering what I should do first in order to get better fuel mileage out of my new beast. The old lady wasn't too keen on going diesel, but my persuasive arguments about fuel mileage savings (whining) helped to sway the decision in my favor. Right now I'm getting roughly 17-18 mpg. As far as I can tell everything is stock. The truck was owned by an older gentleman who only used it to pull his 5th wheel. The truck has 86K miles and is pretty much cherry! He took great care of it. I've started to re-teach myself how to drive diesel vs. gas, and ABSOLUTELY LOVE the feel of the turbo taking over the engine!!! I'm learning how to be "soft" on the pedal instead of hammering like I had to with the 5.3 L in my Silverado 1500. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer to start cheap and work from there. We have a baby on the way and I don't want to be truck poor... LOL!!!

2. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

17 to 18 that is pretty good... probably best you will get. Diesel use to be cheaper than gas by quiet a bit.
    Reason diesel were cheaper. But still got about same mileage as gas vehicle.
    But you gained more toque ect. if you need it.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

A friend of mine just got back from a trip from NJ to Fla and back in his 2009 GMC Diesel and he says his avg was about 21mpg.. He has a full Banks system Air, Exhust, and programer.. Yes you are looking at some big bucks but thats what he wanted.. he can fish tail that truck on dry pavement..but still get about 18 around town..

4. SHNOOL

SHNOOL New Member

Generally speaking, diesels do about 20-30% better than gas same model otherwise. However, its more towards 10% now with emissions... wanna get more MPG out of your diesel, just do something you aren't supposed to, and delete the darned emissions garbage.

5. Chevyfuzz

Chevyfuzz New Member

I live in an area where I don't need to have my emission inspected. But, during inspection, the mechanic needs to see that the original equipment is still in place. What can I do that won't change the appearance of the system, but it will function better...? I was also wondering about things like cold air intake, computer programming, etc... I meant cheap, but I'm willing to look at anything...