1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Truck Owner - 100% out of my depth.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by roberth1970, Oct 13, 2013.

1. roberth1970

roberth1970 New Member

Hi,

I just thought I'd introduce myself.

I've just picked up a '97 GMC Suburban 2500 SLT 3/4 (HD version) with a 454. 106k miles. Two-tone blue and white.

This is the first truck I've had and the first American made vehicle I've owned (I'm here from the UK for a few years). The last cars I did any work on were small, light, front wheel drive and stick shifts.
    I'm pretty clueless regarding much of what I've just bought.

So far the (future) job sheet looks like this:-

Fix front wheel shake under braking - new pads and rotors and possibly new hubs while it's all apart. (DIY - but scared of those 15mm hub bolts)
    New tires (Michelin LT M/S2 I think will work best for me)
    Get the aircon sorted (It's still 70+ in the Bay area at the moment)
    Pitman and idler arm (probably going to pay someone to do that)
    Transmission, transfer boxes and diff fluid changes - (pretty sure these have not been done for 10 years - 30k), I'll do this myself.
    Fix a few small leaks - possibly oil cooler lines, definitely one of the valve covers, maybe the steering pump - none of these are too bad.
    Tune up - new plugs leads and distributor cap
    Fuel Filter
    Air filter - do those fancy cold air ones really help?

Hopefully that's it.
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome aboard.:great:

Sounds like you have a nice little project ahead of you.

Pitman and idler arms are just as easy as tie rods, provided you have the right tools, which are not terribly expensive. Don't let the location of the job at hand scare you off.

Keep us posted on your progress, and feel free to ask any question regardless of how stupid you may think it is.
  3. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

Also, those hub bolts are not that difficult to get at. They do get tight though, an impact gun and swivel socket makes it easier
  4. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Welcome to GMTC! And congratulations on the new ride! It actually sounds like a pretty sweet ride having that low of mileage.

Everything you mentioned seems fairly simple and working on domestics isn't that much different than the imports you've had in the past. everything is just sideways to you lol!

I'm a firm believer in cold air kits, and they're relatively cheap modifications also. Helping your truck breathe will help in lots of ways, so opening the exhaust when possible will also be good.
    There are lots of very experienced truck owners on here trolling around, so make sure to post any questions/concerns you may have in the correct section, as that's where they would be looking for them!
    :sign0011:
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club and congrats on your new ride!!!

Looks like you'll get to your know your Burb very well :glasses:
  7. roberth1970

roberth1970 New Member

Well the brakes are done and I'd say a success. The rears still need adjusting but the stopping is now pretty good and the shaking is gone.

Changed 7/8 plugs (don't ask, I was in a rush and missed one) and the leads. There is a slight missing at idle which might be the one plug not changed or is maybe something else but it's not bad.

Tried to change the fuel filter, but one of the nuts just will not budge at all. I've tried PB, and freeze spray, and I'm using a proper flare nut wrench. I'm scared of stripping the fitting.

Currently half way through a coolant flush.

I'm contemplating the injectors and FPR, but that might have to wait.