New truck, prevent rust, what to do.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by SHNOOL, Nov 29, 2011.

1. SHNOOL

SHNOOL New Member

I know one of the big deals with my Ram was they didn't LINE the rear wheel wells with anything. With the gravel, rock, mud, and salt over the years, the lips on the inside of the wheel wells became caked with junk, and eventually rusted the wheel wells.

I know I have 3/36k warranty and 6/60k on rust through and all, but I'd rather not leave it to warranty to fix this, I'd rather prevent.

The thought came to mind of rino-lining the wheel wells, and anything else "exposed."
    A) is this a good idea
    B) is anyone with 2006 or such truck experiencing any rust, surface or otherwise on their trucks? If so, post miles on truck as well as approximate area (like NE, or SW, or whatever).

2. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Fortunately with more Galvanized metals being used rust isnt as bad as it used to be. You wouldnt believe the amount of salt they use on the roads up here.some of my chassis components are rusted but none on the body.

3. SHNOOL

SHNOOL New Member

Marko, would you then recommend another coat a paint on the frame? I just want to make sure this thing lasts me over my 6 years... after that I am golden. I'll likely put less than 10k a year on the truck. So at 6 years I MIGHT have 60k.

4. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

It wouldnt hurt. I know of poeple that have sprayed Pam Cooking sray underneath before the winter and washed it off after the season. You could also paint the frame with POR 15 but its pricey.

5. SHNOOL

SHNOOL New Member

yeah the body shop I do computers for, recommended the POR15 to me before my old dodge truck made an untimely mating with a tree. After that it seemed pointless... but then, it was the underbody it could have mattered. $150/gallon seems extreme, and also sounds like application might void my warranty. Maybe after my 3/36.

6. gear_head

gear_head Member

Fluid Film

7. elkhornsun

elkhornsun Member

power washer

The best preventative action is to do a weekly power wash of the underside of the truck to remove the salt. It is a better investment than any undercoating you can add after the fact.

Spash guards and similar fenderwall attachments can minimize the amount of stuff thrown at the car from you tires. I always liked the job that Toyota does in this regard with its trucks.

8. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

My wheel wells were full of junk and the existing frame showing was rusted so bad. I just cleaned it all out, went to lowes, bought some automotive primer and some underbody paint and painted all the rust and existing metal, looks super clean and no rust

9. SHNOOL

SHNOOL New Member

Ok, was under the truck today for installing nerf bars... Looks like from the factory they "dipped the frame in something." there are runs in the paint (no biggy), but its on so thick, it ran. I suspect this was to protect the underside.

Oh, and I saw the wheel well liners on ebay cheap, they seem like a prudent investment. That is next week sometime.

As luck would have it I am not taking our old trailer to OH, but we ARE going to get the new (used) one... so I'll get pictures of that when we do.

Around town I am getting 13.2mpg, and on the highway about 14+. Truck has under 500 miles still so I expect slightly better, and we'll know that once we return.

10. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

You may want to to check into an Electronic Rust Prevention, Defender Plus and others are listed