New truck time?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by rileyjr16, Feb 1, 2014.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Been sitting here on my couch at home looking at prices on NNBS trucks. Been thinking for a while about getting a new to me truck. Thing is, I'm not sure if I want to go with a NNBS truck or a NBS truck like the one I currently have, just newer year model. Old coors has 259,000 on her right now. Thinking that at 270,000 or 275,000, it would be about time for us to part. She has a few power plant issues as well as drivetrain issues. Mostly from being an old truck with ALOT of miles. Do I really want to part with my truck now or just wait until she flatlines?

2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Well if you know that the flatline is coming soon then sooner than later is the time to look. Sometimes things come to those who wait but also if you snooze you lose.

I guess the biggest thing is at what point are you better off selling the truck before putting money into anything it needs and will need as you continue to drive it.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I would run it into the ground. while that is going on read forums about the truck/vehicle you are interested in before buying a new vehicle. some of these new vehicles will NOT last as long as the one you now have.

when you buy the new one if the old one still runs better keep it on the road you never know that new one might be a dud.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Im with jcat, run that truck into the ground, resale right now for retail isnt much different with the added miles..
    Its a good time to set your goal, decide how much you can afford for the new truck payment, start a savings account and make that payment every month, this way you can adjust the payment amount if needed to fit your budget. De disciplined and leave that money alone, when new truck time comes you ow have a down payment and an idea of how much truck you can afford.

5. j cat

good point on the saving for a new vehicle , less cost .

6. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Rockstar 100 Posts

I was in just that mode earlier this month. I knew what I had was going to start having more expensive issues coming sooner than later. I thought it would be good time to sell/trade my old one off while there was still some value in it.
    Evaluating what I had and deciding to start researching/looking what was on the market and what the market was doing. I had planned on waiting till June/July so I would have time to research and decide on what I wanted.
    Knowing that wintertime in the upper midwest isn't necessarily the smartest time to be looking to buy a 4 wheel drive truck, but as Phantom mentioned above "you snooze you lose".
    I stumbled upon what I was looking for. Standard cab, long box, 4x4, 1/2 ton, low miles, and newer than 2008.........
    So I pulled the trigger and upgraded my 2000 2500 WT for a 2010 1500 Silverado.
    I'm really liking it so far. The more I read here at these forums I'm kind of up in the air yet on tuning and disabling the AFM, as it's still in CPO warranty. That's another conversation for another thread.........

7. rileyjr16

My whole train of thought is vehicle upkeep. Right yes she has squeaks, creaks, rumbles and tweets. Something is going on in the front axles. A bit of squeaking with a bit of clunking in 4wd. She still drives forward. I'm in a rental right now thanks to her being in the body shop from the lowlife hitting her and it doesn't help one bit that I'm in a 2012 dodge ram 4x4. While it may look nice on the inside and be a whole lot smoother and quieter on the road than my truck, I probably will wait until coors blows apart. As for the whole savings part and saving up for a while, I'm putting roughly 75-100 a paycheck into my savings. Unless I really need it, I'll use it but its definitely going to another truck later.

I like the look of the new trucks, I also like the quietness of the interior and smoothness on the road as well as a little bit better MPG. I guess my truck just needs a few cosmetic items and some mechanical items replaced so she can be back at that level. Tryin to save though is going to be the hard part. With an AR that I'm always looking to buy something for.... It's really tough to save up.

8. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you're going to spend the money on a new vehicle and you are trying to avoid up-keep, then get the newest truck you can afford. You won't be saving yourself much if you get a truck that is just a couple years older than the one you have now as it too will eventually start having problems that will need fixing. Run your current truck into the ground and start saving money now until it dies. Then go get a NNBS truck.

9. rileyjr16

I guess i can wait for a new truck for a while

10. j cat

I will be watching for your posts with this 2010 1500 vehicle .

your 2000 2500 is a heavy duty work truck . the 2010 1500 is a very light duty vehicle. IF you compare the 2000 1500 Silverado with the 2010 1500 the 2000 1500 Silverado is a heavy duty truck when compared to the 2010 as well. I would be very watchful on the oil usage...

I have been waiting for a better vehicle than the 2000 I now have. so far I have issues with these 2007-2014 trucks... good luck.