1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New user

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by MadFrog, Sep 28, 2010.

1. MadFrog

MadFrog New Member

Hi all,
    I have a 2002 Suburban Z71 (well, the wife does...) with about 90,000 miles. Up until this year, it had been mostly trouble-free (blew a passenger front wheel bearing that took out the half shaft was the only issue).
    Since this spring I have:
    - replaced catalytic converters
    - replaced 3 out of 4 brake calipers (rusted through bleeder, wouldn't come off...), all rotors and pads (and the brakes still suck horribly - yes I did flush the brake fluid)
    - replaced one ABS sensor
    - replaced the fuel pump
    - replaced the transmission filter after a dealership flush that clogged it - lesson learned. I hope the tranny lasts; we don't tow or haul much of anything other than the kids...
    - repaired the A/C filter trap door the friendly folks at Jiffy Lube broke for me
    - removed and repaired the parking brake pedal assembly
    - replaced parking brake shoes (due to having to drive home with the parking brake stuck on - see item above)

In my future:
    - replace driver side door handle (it's gotten loose somehow)
    - have the dealership diagnose a small evap leak - it came up after I replaced the fuel pump, and I have tried everything I could to fix it. Now, I need a pro to find the darn leak. :grrrrrr:
    - replace the rear brake dust shields. They are completely rusted through and tend to rub on the rotors. I may just cut them off? I don't know that I feel like removing the axles just to replace those
    - replace the rear suspension bump stops - they are destroyed. The dealership seems to have given me the wrong ones though (appear shorter than the original) and those parts somehow seem hard to find online. Maybe they are called something different?

Anyway, we like our Sub, I just hope it is nearly done breaking for a while. It's beginning to get annoying having to spend most of my weekends under the car, not to mention it won't fit in the garage to work on it. That, and my other car is also maintenance-intensive and needs some attention.

Anyway, I'll be lurking and contributing if I have anything useful to say. I've been working on cars for a long time (shade tree mechanic) and raced cars (ITA Honda Civic) for a while.

Any pointers to why the brakes are so bad on those trucks? With new everything, it will barely engage the ABS when you slam the brakes at 40mph. Could the master cylinder be bad? It's the only thing I haven't changed.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

WElcome aboard, it seems that you have been busy with that truck.. Post up some pics when you have the time. and refering to your question i think you would do well to post it in the suspension tech Sub forum. that is where the most knowledge is at.
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!!
  4. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!
  5. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome, sounds like you've had your hands full since the spring.
  6. MadFrog

MadFrog New Member

Thanks for the welcomes. I'll be searching the site for info on rear axle removal, and brake info on that platform in general.
  7. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC!
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club.
  9. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!
  10. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club!