1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Wheels/Tires for 01 4x4

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by plankbrandon, Sep 14, 2012.

1. plankbrandon

plankbrandon New Member

Hey everyone. First time poster. I'm new to the forum and have very minimal knowledge of the automotive world, so therefore I turn to you

I have an 01 Silverado z71 4x4, much like pictured below, on stock wheels and 265-75-R16.
    [​IMG]
    I'm looking to get some nice wheels with tires that are a little more aggressive & off road looking. In no way do I want this to appear like a mudder, just a bit more rugged. I would like to get something that would fit without any modifications. I would be willing to crank up the torsion bar a bit, but I would prefer no lifting or other changes.I found the other threads with the tables showing what would fit, but I just wanted some more personal feedback on your own opinions and experiences.

I really like the wheels found at this link http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-X-9-AMER...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3500c80c&vxp=mtr

..but with my lack of knowledge I have no idea if I could make them work or what type of tires would be best.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You might be able to squeeze 285/70R17's under there? That's probably close to or just at the upper limit and might require some trimming...
  3. plankbrandon

plankbrandon New Member

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. If going with those 285/70R17's would I just get basically any 17" wheel I want, or do I need to be taking offsets and all of that into consideration?
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Keep in mind I'm taking an educated guess and that I presumed a 0 offset, 17x8 wheels, and tires that weren't oversized for the wheels.

If you end up having to trim it's not terrible. If you're comfortable with a dremmel and take your time it's a simple job. You just need a steady hand...
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I know you said you would be willing to crank your torsion bars if you had to but I would suggest new keys. The ride of your truck will be better off doing it that way to gain the height. It would not add a large amount to the total cost maybe $100 -200 or so.
  6. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Brandon, I have a 2001 Silverado very much like yours - extended cab, 6ft bed - just not 4x4. For our size and style of truck, I think a 265-75-x size tire is the perfect size, not too big and not too small. I'd suggest sticking with that. Plus, for you, if that is your stock tires size, then there will be no adjustments needed.

For wheels, see if you have a Discount Tire near year and if so, go check out their truck wheels from MB. Those are the house brand but they have some MB wheels that look exactly like the wheels in your link but for a quarter of the price.

As for tires, check out either the Bridgestone Dueler A/T or the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S. Both have some nice tread patterns and I have had a set of both on my truck and both looked awesome. I prefer the Bridgestone Dueler A/T though, but both are nice tires.

If you switch from a 16" wheel to a 17" wheel, then get 265-70-17s. If you get 265-75-17s then your overall tire diameter will increase.
  7. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

Your stock size should have been 245's but you should be able to do 285's. My favorite tire in the world is a BF Goodrich All Terrain. I think they have the perfect amount of "toughness" while still looking like a street truck... As for wheels, I've always preferred a stock, or very simple wheel to keep it clean looking... Here's some pics of my old combo's... And the BFG's.

http://www.startgumi.hu/kepek/bfgoodrich/bfgoodrich_all_terrain_t_a_ko.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...54860507260.2114200.1115121911&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...54860507260.2114200.1115121911&type=3&theater

I just realized I'm on the other computer that doesn't have my pics on it... So when I get my laptop outta my truck, i'll post better pics of the tires.