New wing mirror?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Darstedly, May 16, 2009.

1. Darstedly

Darstedly Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place, so sorry if not. Yesterday we had a close encounter with a larger truck and ended up with a smashed wing mirror. I only need the glass part replacing (it is light sensitive and heated) but I'm told that GM only supply complete mirror units. So I've been quoted nearly £800 plus tax for a replacement. That's a vast sum for something I don't need. Do any of you know if I can get the glass piece from an aftermarket source? Or do any of you have a second hand mirror you can sell me? I have a 1998 Suburban K1500 and it's the right side that's damaged (as we drive on the wrong side of the road). Thanks. Please post a reply.

2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey Paul check out this web site, you can just get a plain glass or get the whole replacement mirror depending on how much you want to spend!
    Try www.gmpartsclub.com

3. Darstedly

Thanks, I'll call them just as soon as they wake up. Their web site shows whole mirror assemblies for less than I was quoted. I'll let you know how I get on. Often these people won' sell to overseas credit cards or addresses. Could I enlist your help if that's the case?

4. Darstedly

Hard to find! Lots of cheap aftermarket glass or full assemblies but none with auto dim. I finally found a second hand assembly with all the bells and whistles in Cincinnati for $55! Even with the FedEx cost I'm happy. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sure thing no problem!

6. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

7. meash20

meash20 Rockstar

Not to go off track here, but I thought that the pass side mirrors don't autodim...
    -me-

8. Darstedly

Well I think mine did. I never took any real notice but all of my mirrors seemed to dim to the same degree. The right side didn't seem any brighter than the others. But you could be right, it's broken now so I can't check!