1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new Wisconsin member needs alot of direction and advice for suburban k1500

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Brendan Rezak, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Brendan Rezak

Brendan Rezak New Member

I have a suburban k1500 check out my profile i added pics. this was my dream vehicle growing up so the second i got the chance to get one i jumped at it! however now that i have it I'm thinking its going to be a money pit. I bought it with no body damage, no leaks or any engine problems, new tires, 212*** miles and a sound system i honestly could have done without! Now the sound system is off and after closer observation I realized they made a wiring nightmare!(good battery tho lol) It came with a cherry bomb that was old and rusted, before I could replace it someone tried stealing it and got it half cut of! I removed it put on a used exhaust. I put on a 21/2 inch(think its to small?) in December my water pump blew and i replace it along with a pullie that was going out. I have a oil leak i cant find, and today my radiator started leaking. My battery died twice due to a light being left on when someone broke into it( screw driver to the lock tumbler drivers lock missing) I replaced the air filter today. My goals(ill again post) are to do full oil change, change plugs and wires, replace brakes(really needs done), fix/replace radiator, find and fix oil leak, replace exhaust with better fit system, fix body damage. Long term replace bumpers to be all black, new lights, find third row seats, new tires/wheels, fix sound system/wiring.
  2. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. :glasses:
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

Welcome, Brendan! :great:
  4. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member

Welcome to The Club.
  5. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club!!!

First suggestion, If you've got an oil leak already DON'T switch to synthetic it will make it leak worse.

Second suggestion about the radiator, I actually found that AutoZone carries Dorman oem replacement radiators fairly cheap. I bought a brand new aluminum radiator for my 97 Firebird through them, It was $107.00 out the door, 2 years later no problems with it.

As far as the body damage, instead of doing a spot repair It might pay you to go to Pull a Part junk yard and try and find a black door and just replace the whole door. I did this with my 3rd door, when the bottom rotted out. Instead of bondo job, I bought the whole door for $57.00 and the color matched so no repaint.
  7. Brendan Rezak

Brendan Rezak New Member

thanks for the advice trplxl2. I know not to put synthetic in it. i've been using mobile 10w30.

As for the radiator I cant afford a new one. and I tightened one of the hoses, seems to have fixed it so far.

as for the door my favorite place to go is the pick n pull lol. but the dent isnt the door, its the back passenger side right below the window behind the wheel well. ill upload pics tomorrow. Got some new pics of the work i did do today!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everone for the warm welcomes!
  8. rg79

rg79 New Member

Welcome to GMTC

For your oil leak, you might check the oil pressure sender. Those things are bad about leaking. I think its still mounted right next to the distributor, usueally a pretty cost effective and easy fix. Also, check the rear of the intake. Always start at the top and work your way down.

Electrical isn't that bad on those, just take your time.

For your dent. depending on how long it's been there, you might be able to use dry ice or canned air on a hot day....I've seen this work...I've also seen it not work.

By the way.....slick ride for the age...keep those nickels and dimes rollin, you wont be dissapointed in the end.