1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newb buying a 97 2500 burb

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bigbike, Dec 9, 2012.

1. bigbike

bigbike New Member

New guy here with some questions. I am buying a 97 Suburban 2500 with a 454. What are known problems? What shoul I look for? Im going to be towing my jeep with it. anything I should do to it?
  2. bigbike

bigbike New Member

bueller?......
  3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

It will have had a hard life because nobody buys a 2500 burb to use for milk runs. Be aware that the supply of used parts for these has been depleted by the cash-for-klunkers program so in practice major parts (transfer case, rear axle, transmission, engine) are going to have to be rebuilt instead of being replaced with used.

If a 4x4 check the front suspension, half shafts, CVs, and steering components closely as they have usually started to fail by this point and can be very expensive to repair especially if there are multiple problems. If you're paying top dollar you should take it to an alignment shop and have them try to align it, also have them pull the drums on the rear axle to see how much trouble you're in brake wise.

If you care about the A/C be sure it all works as repairs can be very expensive.