1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newb From Alabama

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by highspeed, Mar 18, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. highspeed

highspeed New Member

Hello All,
    I found this site while hunting for some helpful instructions. I just picked up a 1996 z71 from the original owner a few days ago. Funny thing was, I wasn't actually looking to get a truck. I was meeting a guy to look at a set of dana 44 axles for my jeep cherokee when we started talking about how I wanted my cherokee to be a weekend vehicle and I want to find a good truck as a DD, and then this guy was looking for a cherokee as a project and he has 3 trucks. The rest was history. I figured I can build a cherokee at anytime that I want.

Anyways, My cherokee was pretty sweet, but having a truck is a must right now............especially with a family, home, and yard.

The z71 is all stock and in good shape. It does need the timing set, someone messed with the distributor thinking they would adjust the timing and now the CEL is on and it idles rough, but smooths out as RPMs rise. I pulled the code and it said "crank and cam position........somethingornother" but I know that the timing is adjusted by the PCM but the cap still needs to be set correctly. Ignitions timing at idle was -21 to-23 degrees according to the code reader.

So I hope to get alot of insight and help from here since this is my first GM truck. So far I really like it, but it does need some TLC. Ill post some pictures later, its a good looking truck for its age.
  2. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

you will get some advice here. This is a good place to be. Welcome to the club
  3. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. :glasses:
  4. highspeed

highspeed New Member

Thanks for the kind welcome. I am looking to make this a great DD and pick up an extra "project" in a couple of months. In the mean while, my Z71 will needs:

1. Timing set
    2. Driver Door bushings and pins
    3. Passenger door handle
    4. Passenger side view mirror glass replaced
    5. A/C Recharged
    6. Fluids Changed

Things that I want to do:
    1. Leveled
    2. Open up the exhaust and intake :)
    3. 140amp Alternator
    4. 33" All terrain/Mud Terrain

Other than that, I want to DD it, hunt, and fish out of it. My oldest girl was alittle skeptical because she loved trail riding in the Heep, but it just isn't practical to maintain and drive everyday.

If anyone has any suggestions on other modifications/maintenance, please let me know. Thanks again.
  5. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !