1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newb from Michigan!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by BlackHawk99, Apr 27, 2009.

1. BlackHawk99

BlackHawk99 New Member

Hello from Michigan!

My wife and I are buying a 1997 Tahoe which we test drove last night. We needed an inexpensive family vehicle and came across this Tahoe. We test drove it and it seemed to drive fine, considering the mileage. It has 212,000 miles, but it drove well. It needs some TLC....so that's why I'm here!

-- The air conditioning needs to be charged (my brother is in that line of work...no big deal)
    -- The driver's rear door will not open. It seems to be stuck in the locked position.
    -- There's a small coolant leak coming from the tee at the heater core hoses.
    -- Needs a GOOD cleaning. It's pretty filthy now.
    -- There's an alarm system that acts goofy. I'm going to have it uninstalled from the local aftermarket shop.

But for having 212,000 miles it ran great. The push button 4x4 worked well. All the power windows worked. Cruise, CD player, mirrors, etc. all worked. Transmission shifted well. The 350 still was maintaining 50 lbs. of oil pressure even at a hot idle. The owner bought the truck with 120,000 in 2003 and drove it all around northern MI and only ever had to replace the fuel pump, a/c condensor, a/c evaperator, and a/c compressor.

I'm getting it for $1,475. Good deal?

Getting that door open is my main concern for the time being...
    1 person likes this.
  2. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the Site! That does sound like a pretty good deal. What part of Michigan are you from? I am in South Lyon, MI.
  3. BlackHawk99

BlackHawk99 New Member

I'm from Grand Blanc. Grand Blanc is about 12 miles southeast of Flint, or 50 miles northwest of Detroit.

I get to South Lyon every now and then. A friend of the family owns a plumbing company and is based in South Lyon!
  4. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

welcome to the site!!!
  5. BlackHawk99

BlackHawk99 New Member

Thanks! I've been doing some searches for the issues with the 97...
  6. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site! For the price, it sounds like a good deal. The 350's in those years had problems with leaking intake manifold gasket. My '96 leaked at the back, then shortly after that the water pump failed. The mechanic told me that was common at the time. Good luck with the door, maybe someone on the site can help with the door.
  7. BlackHawk99

BlackHawk99 New Member

I'm assuming the intake gasket has been replaced at some point. 212,000 on the original intake seems unheard of. The intakes on the 3800, 3400 and 3100s all leaked badly too. You were lucky to see 80,000 miles out of those intake gaskets.

I was able to get the door open last night. The lock was stuck shut. I got the door panel off and worked the rod back and forth. Good as new now!
  8. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  9. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site and that sounds like a pretty good deal (esp. since the previous owner paid for those expensive repairs).
  10. Scooter

Scooter New Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the site.