1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

newb with a clutch question ~ 1994 Chevy 1500 w/ 350

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by mud runner, Aug 28, 2013.

1. mud runner

mud runner Member

I have a 94 chevy 1500 350 4x4 5 speed I picked up 2 weeks ago for $2000 and the throw out bearing was going out so we pulled it into the shop at school Monday and took the driveshaft out and droped the transfer case and dropped the transmission and took the clutch apart today and the fork that moves the thrwow out bearing was just sitting on what looks like a stud and it doesent have a nut on it or anything holding it on and I was wondering if it was normal or if it is missing a nut thanks heres a pic of it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. okysmokey911

okysmokey911 Rockstar 100 Posts

The stud you are referring to is called the pivot ball stud. I replaced mine a few years back and the new one came with a nut, but I dont think it is necessary. My old one didnt have one on it and I drove it for 4 or 5 years like that. Plus if you get the nut on too tight it can damage the ball stud because the fork has a fair amount of travel. The pressure from the slave cylinder and the throwout bearing on the clutch keeps the clutch fork in place... so I dont think the nut is a necessity.

3. mud runner

mud runner Member

I went to the dealer and talked to them and they said that it doesent need one there but it should be out of the shop tomorrow if all goes good all I have to do is put the front axle nut on and the front wheel on and hook up the shifter and I traded the bed rails for a dimond plate toolbox

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any thing I can do to help it get better mpg because it is getting roughly 10 mpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013