Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NEWBIE Car Stereo Install on a 2009 Silverado, Crew Cab with Bose Audio

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by cjt28, Jul 20, 2012.

1. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I'm interested more in the parts list, than the prices; just to see what all you went with exactly. I have an 09 with Bose+DVD, and looking for what speakers to install in it, at the moment. I have a pretty good idea of what to go with for the main speakers, but not sure what to replace the center speaker in the dash with yet.

As for the steering wheel, it should be mostly plug and play. You'll have to pull the plastic cover off the column to check if all the wires are there, but they might not be hooked up, even if the harness has them. Not 100% sure, but I think most of the cars/trucks have the wiring even if it's not hooked up on both ends, these days.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, you can't plug-n-play steering wheels, radio buttons transmit their signal via a single wire (can-bus) and that wire doesn't exist in a truck without steering wheel controls
  3. dobey

This is not exactly true. The steering wheel buttons are just buttons, and each button has a different resistance, which the BCM reads and then sends a CAN bus message to the stereo, to perform the specified action. The buttons in the steering wheel don't have any logic for communicating over the CAN bus directly. The only electronics in the steering wheel buttons are LEDs, resistors, and the button pads, with the exception of the cruise control having the one on/off toggle switch.
  4. zigger215

Too technical for the forum I felt so I didn't go into detail. Also there aren't LEDs in the steering wheel buttons.
  5. dobey

Well this is the Technical A/V/Electrical sub-forum, so probably not too technical. And there most certainly are LEDs in the button assemblies. How else would they light up at night? They're red in Pontiacs, orange in Saturns, and the bluish-green in Chevrolets and Cadillacs (and I think Buicks too, but not 100% sure if they're blue or orange). I have several buttons from the Solstice/Sky/G6/Cobalt style steering wheels, and have taken them apart to see about changing the LEDs, so I can have all the buttons I want, in red, as I'm swapping in a new steering wheel/column, into an older Pontiac.

As I said before, it should be simple to add, if the wires are in the column side already. If they are, it should just be a matter of swapping the steering wheel (which one needs to be careful about doing anyway, to avoid accidentally blowing the airbag). If they aren't there, it's a bit more work, but still not terribly hard. Swapping the harness as well will be more expensive and time consuming, than difficult, really. But given the OP's comments about money, he'll probably prefer to pay the dealer to install it than do it himself, if it requires swapping more than just the wheel itself.
  6. zigger215

Lol ok man I'm an idiot. Not like I do this for a living. There are NOT LED bulbs in the buttons they are incandescent bulbs, parts dude at a GM counter can even tell you that. Anyone on this forum can tell you that. Plus on top of that the BCM has to have the multiplexed input programmed into it and you need to make sure you have the right pin wired in on the right plug and on top of that if the truck didn't come with the data center then the BCM won't allow that input. That IS fact, it ISNT speculation and this IS coming from an advanced licensed MECP installer.

I'm not trying to be a dick but if you can say you have honestly successfully done this swap and can prove it and line it out for me then I will delete my posts.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  7. zigger215

image-3295973090.jpg

I've had my wheel apart as well as dozens of customer wheels apart. A few months ago i just CONVERTED my incandescent lights to LED, there is no kit for this it was a custom job. You wanna lead this guy onto thinking this is an easy thing then go for it. I'm tellin him from professional experience, it isn't a walk in the park.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  8. b-radical

b-radical Rockstar 100 Posts

very nice install zigg. I have 2 kicker 12" subs and aftermarket door speaker. It bumps plenty and sounds good. the only thing I don't like is that I didn't drill the holes exactly right on the rear door speakers, the screw vibrates loose causing the speaker to rattle. The speakers are a weird fit, so im just gonna swap them for something better. I got pics im my album if u care to look.
  9. zigger215

I'll check them out. I've got to put the rest of me interior in and then my truck and another are going to be in a photo shoot (I compete in SQC sound quality challenge and the other truck competes in SPL sound pressure level). I'll be doing a full write up on this build when I had better quality pictures. System total value you is above 12,000 bucks. I have over 80 hrs install time and almost 10 in tuning.
  10. dobey

That's great. What year is your truck then?