1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newbie from Alberta Canada

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Wessy, Nov 2, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Wessy

Wessy New Member

Hey guys, it's nice to be a part of the group. I have some knowledge of late 90's gmc's, im on my second one as we speak. I had quite a few problems with my 2000 old body style 2500. My new gmc is a 97 2500 ext cab long box. I love this truck, it has been good to me. Which leads me to why I am here. I am now towing a small fifth wheel travel trailer, suspension wise the truck is great, power wise not so much. The trailer only weighs 4200 lbs but my poor truck sure struggles climbing any kind of small incline. I am fairly mechanically inclined, not an expert by any means. I am here asking advice from the seasoned vets on how to achieve better performance from a tired and cranky 350. I'm not looking to burn the tires off just trying gain a few extra horses. I've done a fair bit of reading but the opinions seems so scattered. Any help with making towing my trailer a little easier would be greatly appreciated. Where should I start and how? Cold air intake? Headers? Custom tune? Gut my cats? Throttle body spacer?

Thanks for your patience and thoughts.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site. Please upload some pics when you get a chance.
  3. silverhobey

silverhobey Member 100 Posts

welcome aboard from Ontario, Canada........Brian:neutral:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure other will ring in here soon, but I'll bet a Tuner of some sort dialed in for Pulling will help immensely.

A throttle body spacer might be too loud under pressure when climbing hills, and I think you might only get 10-12 Horses
    more out of a Cold Air Intake. I know some guys getting their use of Diablo or Bully Dog Tuners !!...Brian from Ontario, Canada
  4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!
  5. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

Welcome from Ontario....a decent running 350 should yank that 5th wheel around no problem...How many miles (km) on it?
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome from New Brunswick
  7. Wessy

Wessy New Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the warm and fuzzy welcomes. I certainly appreciate everyone's input. To answer a question; my truck has 223000 Kim's on it. And yeah on a flat road it pulls the fifth wheel ok but the second I hit any kind of incline my speed drops quickly. I have asked around a bit and what I've found is a custom tune is at the top, then cold air intake with varying opinions and throttle body. So thanks again to everyone and look forward to chatting in the future.