Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Newbie from Kentucky

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jnewkirk77, Jul 1, 2009.

1. jnewkirk77

jnewkirk77 New Member

Hey guys, I'm new here and thought I'd drop in and see what's going on.

First of all, my wife and I are finally getting out of the minivan thing (thank God) and planning to buy a Suburban or Yukon XL within the next month or so -- hopefully sooner rather than later.

I'm looking for an '03 to '06, mainly because those are the ones I'm a little more familiar with. The '07-09 models are too expensive, and I really want something newer than what we're driving now (an '02 Dodge Grand Caravan).

We're drawn to the Suburban/Yukon XL because of the added room, comfort and capability. I didn't originally want 4WD but 90% of the ones I've seen around here are so equipped. I guess it doesn't matter, it might even come in handy at some point.

Are there any mechanical or electrical issues I should look out for? Suggestions on what model to look for? Anything? :lol:

BTW, I am disabled due to a spinal condition I was born with, so any help you can give me that would make sure I find the best vehicle possible would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't want to end up getting something that might leave me stranded somewhere because I didn't know what to watch out for.

Thanks in advance!

2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! Good luck with the purchase. You might want to post your questions in the SUV forum, I'm sure you'll get a lot more responses there.

3. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! Good luck with whichever you choose.

4. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Good luck with your purchase. The only thing I can tell you is that every vehicle has a personality of their own. I can't think of any real issues off the top of my head for the Yukons but I'm sure it will have it's own little issues here and there. All around good trucks though. Welcome to the site and keep us updated. We love pics btw.

-Greg

5. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! My '04 Silverado has 125,000 miles and still rolling strong, so I'm sure the Suburban or Tahoe would be just as reliable. But, as stated above there is probably someone out there cussing and discussing their '04 with less mileage. I've always had good luck with the Chevies I've owned. The only thing about a 4x4 is they are usually a little taller, if that would be a consideration with your spinal condition. Good luck!

6. jnewkirk77

jnewkirk77 New Member

Thanks, guys!

Don't worry, there will be LOTS of pics as soon as I have a vehicle to take them of.

As far as getting in and out, I am still able to walk (albeit with difficulty), so at least for now, height won't be too much of a deal -- I did drive a Safari for a while, and managed that climb without killing myself:gasp:. And if need be, I have enough upper-body strength to lift myself; not bragging, just working at it. The old saying, "you don't know what you've got till it's gone" is not going to apply to me!

The main reason I asked about trouble areas is that I've not heard of anything just floating around the internet. Usually you see a lot of little things on different vehicles (especially Chrysler products, go figure), but nothing I found concerned me with regard to Suburbans or Yukon XLs.

Hope that's a good thing.

Anyway, I will be sure to keep you posted. We're heading off on one last camping trip in the van this weekend, and internet will be spotty, but I'll check in when I can.

Have a great 4th of July Weekend!!! :party:

7. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the site!

8. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the club. glad to have another kentuckian

9. jnewkirk77

jnewkirk77 New Member

We stopped on a return trip from Lake Barkley yesterday to look at a sharp Carbon Metallic (think really, really dark gray) '04 Suburban LT at a small Chevy dealer. Price was decent, mileage good (65K miles), and it was 2WD, which I prefer. Interestingly, it was not overly well-equipped -- no sunroof, DVD player, heated seats, etc. -- but it didn't have a hitch, which is one of the few things that's on my "must have" list. It looks like it once had one, so I'm going to check and see if it has the other items that were part & parcel of the tow package.

I did like the leather seats, which help make getting in and out easier.

My kids were very taken with the Sub, so there's a strong possibility if it does have the other towing items (I'm not about to try and tow w/o a tranny cooler or the other heavy-duty parts), that this could be "the" one.

And if it ain't ... well, there are some others I plan to try out in the next few days. I'll keep you posted.

(EDIT: Well, I TRIED to post a pic. It wouldn't let me. :grrrrrr: So here's a link TO a pic:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_I8H8ZAcVIGY/SlOXzn9O6ZI/AAAAAAAAAVU/4Kffmx-9oKo/s1600-h/956WOL-01_000.JPG)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  10. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! I saw it was already posted, get your question in the suv forum. I'm a truck guy so I can't say what the pro's or con's of those models are. Good Luck