1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Newbie From Nor Cal

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Ares89Burb, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Ares89Burb

Ares89Burb New Member

Well, figured I would put up my introduction. Name is Ares89Burb, live in Nor Cal and I just acquired a 1989 Chevrolet Suburban R2500 w/454 TBI. Found the forums through Google. Definitely not my first go round on automotive forums. Been posting on RX7club, Honda-Tech, Zilvia, Fordification to name a few.

I got back into my Chevy Suburban a few weeks ago after my Grandpa stopped towing his camping trailer and does more relaxing at home. He bought the Suburban brand new in 88 fully loaded (still have the window sticker, took the base price of $15xxx and doubled it!!) and having the truck still in the family and running great is fantastic. He had the 454 rebuilt about 25k miles ago as well. So compression is great on it! A/C works, all the windows and amenities work with no issues. Well I took it home and let it sit until I got take a look over it, and walking outside the next day saw a huge puddle of fresh fluids under the truck. After laying down on the ground I wiped my finger through it and took a sniff and smelled tranny fluid. Whomever did the last tranny filter change left a bolt out and left the rest very very loose. New kit, and new fluids later that was fixed and it purrs like a giant 454 cubic inch kitten.

This isn't my first experience with Chevy's either. My very first vehicle was a 1991 Chevy S-10 Blazer 2WD 2-door with a 4.3L V6, sold that with a little over 310,000 miles on the original motor and as far as I know it is still running great.

Anyway that's pretty much it. I'll be lurking around the forums and reading up as much as I can about my new truck and enjoying a piece of my families history.
  2. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the site, from san fran, ca
  3. shadowt_t

shadowt_t Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

welcome to the site
  4. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club
  5. pmartin816

pmartin816 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site. Gotta love those old Suburbans.
  6. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

:sign0016: to the club and welcome back to Chevy.
  7. Ares89Burb

Ares89Burb New Member

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Back to Chevy sort of... For now the Burb is regulated to DD truck duties and towing. My current project is a 1968 Ford F100. When I get the time the Burb will end up with the same treatment as the Ford, a nice restoration. When I got the Ford it looked pretty beat.

[​IMG]

Currently the motor sits looking like this now:

[​IMG]

The engine bay has been blasted and repainted, and is now up for rewiring and while I am down in the front end I'll be switching out the power drums and doing disc brakes all the way around. I have more simple plans for the Chevy though.

Intake Manifold, low end cam for towing/general truck duties, maybe a chip or rom programmer, heads, headers, and exhaust. Clean up the engine bay and repaint the body the factory color, which it still is the factory color, but faded, flaking and chipping away...
  8. Coolrado

Coolrado Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

looks great, welcome aboard.
  9. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!
  10. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTruckClub!